Thursday, May 14, 2009

Joel vs. the Universe



If you haven’t read the Alchemist, allow me to sum up: The Universe conspires in your favor if you listen and read the signs. If you do…you find your treasure, and sometimes it’s where you least expect it.

Me believe-ee.

For example. I wanted to learn the finer points of photography, but didn’t want to take a class. I thought it would be cool to just spend a solid day or two of time with a professional who completely focused on me and my learning gaps (or canyons if you’re so inclined) and got me up to speed quickly.

I randomly found a guy who has amazing work (Joel's Website) through a friend’s facebook profile picture. She pointed me to his website, I asked if he would be open to a couple days intensive personal instruction and he said…yes. And how about in Paris?

I thought umm, yes. But having just returned from Bali didn’t know how set I was on disposable income for this journey.

As fate (or the universe) would have it, one of my clients, literally the next day, asked if I would go over to the UK to do some testing. Let me just add that this is the first time in 4 years a client has had me go international. (are you buying the universe thingy yet?)

Joel agreed to meet me on the weekend after my test group in Paris where we spent about 36 straight hours of him larnin’ me how to shoot.

This my friends is following the signs.

But it gets more interesting…and sad. Let me tell you how my good, new friend Joel scoffed at the universe, took destiny in his own hands and throw away my future.

We were sitting in front of the Notre Dame getting set up for a shoot when a woman walking by bent down, picked up a gold ring and came up to us. She offered it to me, but I told her it wasn’t mine. In French she kept telling Joel that I should keep it anyway because she was divorced and we were lovely or something like that. I don’t speak the language and let’s just say Joel wasn’t doing a ton of translating word for word.

As I listened to this discussion and cradled the ring in my hands, the lady walked away. (Now I will insert here that this is a classic French scam that we learned about later because she came back asking for a little money.) When she returned Joel said no on the money and with finality took it out of my hand and thrust it back at her and turned away.

I stared, jaw agape, as the woman walked away holding MY gold ring. And then I turned on Joel.

“You. You sign-hater. Do you not REALIZE that the universe was speaking by handing me, maybe even us a ring – the symbol of marriage – and you have yanked it away and laughed in the face of my destiny?? Do you not KNOW how many years I have been waiting for this message from the universe?”

Fine. So we laughed a little, joked a little, whatever whatever. BUT all of this did happen right after he told me that he was afraid of commitment which of course is rather ironic, and… AND, I assure you that I am still convinced he has thrown away what the universe was handing me.

I am happy to say that if I never find my perfect and eternal companion that I now have someone on who’s shoulders I can with satisfaction place the blame. Which is nice since it had been resting on mine until now.

Thank you Joel.

3 comments:

Delsa said...

What a relief. It's awful to be accountable for your own destiny. I think you owe Joel a huge debt of gratitude. And I owe him nothing - and I am extremely angry at the grandchildren I will now be missing out on.

Kris said...

Sounds like it's more Joel vs. Delsa. Destiny payback.

KA said...

Ok, but, you went to Paris for your very own little photo lesson? Let's just say: These are not the sorts of things you do when you're married. Live it up while you can.

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.