Sunday, November 9, 2008

Born-ing a baby


I realize that what I'm about to post has already been read by my entire family and that this is my blog and I should come up with my own darned stories, but this recent post from my brother Ryan on his family blog is too, too priceless not to share.

Some context--Ryan & Amy just had baby number 4. Child two is named Katie and she is six years old. Warning--if you don't know how babies are made, or the thought of it makes you uncomfortable you may not want to read on.

The first set of stories are about Katie. The birth of Chloe has awakened an interest within Katie about her gender identity. As we approached Chloe's delivery date, Katie began to ask more questions about what it is like to "born a baby." I think we told her at one point something about how it hurts to give birth as a way of letting them know how much their mother loves them and was willing to do to bring them into the world. Days or weeks later, Katie began to put pieces of the puzzle together, and realized that since she is a girl, she could be a mother, and if she is a mother, then it could hurt her too. Then, during the week before Chloe was born, she asked me where babies come out of their mommies. I answered the question as clearly but also discretely as I could. She promptly announced that she did not want to "born a baby." I tried to reassure her that this would be her decision when the time comes and she could make up her own mind about it.

After Chloe was born, everyone (including Katie) was happy to have this adorable addition to our family. On the day Amy came home, I was taking care of the kids while Amy went upstairs to feed Chloe. Katie asked where Amy was going. I told her that she was going upstairs to feed Chloe.

Katie thought about this for a moment, and then asked what Chloe would be eating.

"Milk," I said.

Katie pointed out to me that there is no milk upstairs.

I explained to Katie that the milk comes from Mommy. Katie then exclaimed, "LIKE A COW??!!?"

I'm not sure there was anything I could say at that point. I tried to point out to her that most mammal mothers provide milk for their children, not just cows, but I think it may be too late and the very idea of motherhood has scared her off for life.


Welcome to the world of womanhood Katie. And best of luck.

4 comments:

Elizabeth Downie said...

That story is so funny!! I love it. Thanks for sharing!

EFN Newsletter said...

My favorite part of this story is that Ryan tried to explain that most mammal mothers provide milk for their children.

xóchitl said...

i am DYING!
"LIKE A COW!?!"
poor katie in shock.

Robin said...

Ha. This is a priceless story, if only I could still be naive about it all!!

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.