Saturday, November 1, 2008



This weekend I had my own Friday Night Lights experience. What I'm trying to say, is I went to a High School football game. First one in about 15 years.

My friend Ian was in town to see Pioneer (my alma mater) play their first playoff game. His brother Jeremy is the coach. I was surprised by several things.


1. How exciting the game was. It went down to the last second, the action was fast moving and these kids were pretty good. It's fun to watch it at this level and see the passion.

2. How hard it is to kick a football. Ian challenged me to try - it wasn't pretty.

3. Mostly I was surprised by the dads. I shouldn't have been since my own father was known to tell a ref, "He didn't deserve to live." but still, it's been a while. These parents were screaming the craziest things, they were life or death for their kids out there and some of them were very clearly re-living their own glory days. My favorite was the dad who stood up by the sideline wearing his old Pi-High letter jacket (still fit!) with the name "Jock" embroidered on the front. I don't even know how to start on the many disturbing things in this image.

4. Finally, the HS kids. I had forgotten the angst, the need to belong and the...lack of clothing girls wear in 40 degree weather. Ah, High School.

Regardless, it was a delightful way to spend Halloween night and it was tragic when they lost in the final minute on a botched call by the refs. Go Pioneer!

4 comments:

Delsa said...

That Ian, he's as good looking as ever. I thought he was going to come to visit us while we were here. Tell him that time is running out.

Anonymous said...

Well now, there is a connection with Julia! Her boyfriend is the starting center. He was crushed by the loss. Those boys played hard all season. The lack of clothes makes me shudder. The letterman jacket? Andy has his and it is displayed in Julia's room.

Shauri said...

It was tragic...I was really wrapped up in it and disappointed. Such is the world of sports I guess.

Andy's letterman jacket is exactly where it should be--in Julia's possession and not still in his wardrobe to be worn on a daily basis! :)

Jill said...

Sounds like a blast! Speaking of FNL do you have Direct TV so you can catch this season or are you trapped like a lame-o like me who has to wait until January!? I miss you!

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.