Saturday, November 22, 2008

Twilight...at last


I realize that I should probably be embarrassed to admit this, but I'm not. I saw Twilight last night with my sister. And let me tell you two important facts:

1. It was good. Much better than I anticipated, and to me - better than the books. Why? I liked some of the characters they cast better (like Charlie) than the way they were painted in the book AND they took 400 pages of content and were forced to shorten it to a 2 hr movie which considerably helped the story. As the credits rolled on the screen Kristin turned to me quickly, and un-asked, in a tone that evoked a feeling confessional guilt said, "I loved it."

2. If you have any inclination at all to see it---see it SOON. Why? Because the theaters are full if you go when it first comes out. The full part is not the secret to Twilight nirvana - it's who the theater is full of: teenage girls. I have never, ever been so amused by an audience in my life. When the movie began and Edward walked on to the screen a scream and a group sigh pierced the air with more pre and barely-hormonal angst than I'm sure was ever heard at an Elvis or Beatles concert. "I LOVE YOU EDWARD!!" The reactions, the sighs, the giggles and screams added more to this experience than I can possibly communicate here. Please. Get up, walk to the door...go now. Before all the biggest twilight fans have seen it.

Those are the important facts. Here are a few more minor, but noteworthy tidbits:

- The guy sitting next to Kristin was as amused by every reaction as we were and kept looking at us each time it happened. At one point there was a somewhat gruesome moment and Kristin screamed--yes, she did. She turned to look at the guy next to her and he was looking at her laughing. She said at first she felt like they were sharing an inside moment, and then she thought, "why is this guy still looking at me?"

- Edward has hair on his arms and chest. If he is supposed to be like polished marble...well, get out the soap and razor my friend.

- I totally got on board the Edward train by the end. Going in I was super disappointed by the selection of this character and thought...not hot...not MY Edward. (I realize this sounds a little funny from an old lady about a teenager, but whatever.) By the end Kristin and I both agreed he was perfect. And teenage girl scream-worthy.

- The actors who play Bella's HS friends are fantastic! They capture their roles and play better high school kids than I've seen in any other movie. They're not too young not too old and they are quirky and strange and self-conscious and utterly delightful.

It's not a classic. There is not one deep thought to be had. It even has some ridiculous, I just got pulled from my suspension of disbelief moments, but it is completely entertaining and definitely worth the cost to see the story come to life. Bravo. Go with teen girls.

OH dear..one more note...
I went to the Twilight site last night and found a brilliant idea for all of you haven't gone yet. The twilight party planning checklist. Talk about brilliant marketing. Here's a few things to help you prep before you go with all your best girlfriends:

1. Make your list - include all your twilighter friends AND those you want to convert.

2. Use of our 4 custom twilight evites

3. Purchase ticket through fandango. If you buy online you get a free iTUnes remix!

4. Go to theater as your favorite vampire.

5. Take a my space personality quiz to know which vampire you should go as

6. Practice your OME! (Oh My Edward) Scream.


OK - there are more, but you'll have to go to the site and see for yourself. It's clear to me now that all the girls in my theater did this AND took #6 to heart.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

You just made me so excited to see it tonight. Thanks for being so thorough and making me laugh!

Delsa said...

I have never felt so totally clueless about anything in my life. I do live in a different world.

Shauri said...

You mean you live in a world without vampires? Oh, what must that be like?? - Just a few more months...

KA said...

1. I loved it too.

2. When Edward tells her he needs to try something and leans in for the kiss, an OLD woman in the everyone-holding-their-breath theatre said, in full voice, "Yes!"

3. I can't believe Kristin screamed.

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.