Monday, June 29, 2009

A Step Back in Time



This past weekend I moseyed (is that how you spell it??) my way on over to Lancaster county in Pennsylvania to visit my old friends the Bairds. This past December we were reunited (thank you Facebook - ultimate people connector!) while I was shooting a film for Hampton. Chris and I were best friends from my freshman year and had lost touch about 13 years ago.



I can't even express my joy at being reunited with the entire family. I also knew Chris' brother Dave pretty well, and his sister Brooke, and had spent a week with the Baird family at the end of our freshman year when we (Merrilee and I) went to send Chris off on his mission.

Merrilee recently reminded me of a funny story from that trip. Chris is infamous for having no concept of time or concerns about punctuality. He's an artist folks - you know how THEY are. Anyway, he took Merr and I to explore some local waterfalls, and let it be said we had a great time. However, when we returned to his house, looking like drowned rats, we discovered his farewell party had kicked off an hour before we arrived. You can imagine his mom's pleasure at our arrival.



The funny part of the story was that his mom blamed poor, hapless Merrilee for our lateness. She told everyone, "Chris had to take them to the waterfall because Merr is from Arizona and so she doesn't ever get to see water." Talk about thinking on your feet!

Some of my favorite moments on this trip to the Baird clan:

1. I stayed in the Ephrata Hampton Inn & Suites where we had filmed in December and was THRILLED to reconnect with this team. (You can see the documentary we did on them here.) It is unequivocally, the BEST hotel you can ever stay in. Amazing service, amazing people - LOVE them. I was pleasantly surprised to arrive to a sign welcoming me as "Guest of the Day." That's no joke people.





2. On Saturday night, I told the Bairds (Chris' parents) that I wanted to meet them to go to church because Chris had no ability to be on time. There was a lot of chatter about this and how he was late and I was punctual. So the next day, when I suddenly found myself a mile or two from their house and the center of an Amish parade you can imagine my chagrin at realizing I would arrive 10 minutes late. I took these pictures to prove to them that the only thing that could keep me from arriving on time was 5 buggies in front and two in back and no passing lane.





3. Loved just sharing stories about the old days and the new days and feeling like no time had passed. Chris' dad shared some stories about his current wrestle with cancer and how it really changes your focus and where you place importance. He shared a story about the power of prayer in one man's battle with cancer and everyone in the family seemed to be appreciating each moment a little more. I came to town to take some photos of the family and capture some of these moments and felt inspired and touched when I left.

I feel pretty blessed to have come in contact with so many wonderful people over all the years of my life. I'm not great at staying in touch, but maybe that's cause I love all the "reunited and it feels so nice" moments. Whatever the case, I'm excited to finally be reunited with my own folks who come home on Monday--AT LAST.

5 comments:

Amy said...

What a great place to take pictures. I want to get up there sometime--mostly just to stay in Ephrata, although the Amish seem nice too.

Shauri said...

Both are key. :) Well let me know anytime you want to go up, I'd be happy to join you.

wenderful said...

Shauri, I found your blog through Chris's Facebook. I'm an old friend of his from New York.
Great pictures! Love that family. I love your photography! How have you come to be so good at it? (if you don't mind my asking)

Shauri said...

Hi "wenderful". :)
I'm flattered that you searched me out - thanks for the compliment! I adore Chris and all the Bairds, and I actually grew up in NY too, but Albany not Syracuse. As for how I got so good at it--i don't think i am! I'm sure you relate, but I always feel like I'm still figuring it out. I've taken pics most of my adult life, and done a few "workshops", and I also do filmmaking, so I just sort of dabble. Always trying to learn more! I see you're in to photography too?

wenderful said...

Hey there. Yep, I am thinking hard about doing this as a "paid" hobby. I attended a workshop recently and am inspired to pursue this. We'll see how it goes. Isn't it fun?

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.