Friday, October 24, 2008

Can I get a Witness?


A little nugget of wisdom on dating. It stemmed from an email I got today with just three short lines, the last one stating, "I don't have anything clever to say, I was just thinking about you and wanted to say hi."

Being single is fun...and in a lot of ways quite an easy life. What really makes "having someone" in your life worth giving up all that freedom and ease is that simple phrase- "I was thinking about you." You can have family galore (and I do) and great friends, but no matter how much they love you, their primary focus is on their own significant others and kids. Being single you can forget what it's like to have someone just thinking about you... for no good reason.

One of my favorite lines from the totally awesome flick "Shall We Dance" is when Susan Sarandon explains to someone why her marriage is important to her:

"There are millions of people in this world. And when they die no one will ever know they existed. People get married so that they will have a witness. A witness to their lives.
A witness for the good things, the bad things. A witness for the exciting things, the mundane things. To have some one to promise that: "Yes, I will witness your life" as you witness mine."


Regardless of my feelings for the guy who wrote the email--it made me pause, get a slightly warm and fuzzy feeling and think - hey, someone cares about me.

People - don't we all want that? Can I get a witness?

4 comments:

Delsa said...

You are one of my dearly beloved children and I am a witness to your life. A witness that it is a wonderful life for and beautiful woman. Who is this guy that brought this reaction from you? Are you holding out on me?

xóchitl said...

wow shauri, i hadn't heard that quote before. being a witness...that's beautiful.

unless of course you're testifying that the person was an MFer. oops.

xóchitl said...

but seriously, i need to remember to tell the people i'm thinking about. to show that i'm a witness (right?)how sad it is to forget to do that.

Robin said...

Amen Sister! This was a very insightful post. You are awesome!

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.