Sunday, February 8, 2009

Getting a Grip


Ramblings ahead. You've been warned.

Why on earth, can't a girl go shopping the first week of February and find one black boot in any size except 6 or 10? This is Michigan right? I mean winter will be lasting for 4 more months, right? Shocking. And please. It only makes me angry to see shop windows filled with yellow and pink sleeveless cotton tops and dresses and..shorts? Are you kidding? It's like taunting...no, it IS taunting us. Don't act like if I buy that outfit I can wear it anytime in the near future. It's sick.

Yesterday Kristin and I went to the big mall up in Troy. Thus the rant above. I had a full day of my sister to shop with, eat with, and watch "He's just not that into you" with. It was one of my most delightful days in the past year and reminded me how glad I am to have her as my sister. There's no one you can laugh with in quite the same way who knows ALL your history.

On the way home from shopping, there was a bit of a mishap. We drove in Kristin and Abram's totally awesome 19__ who knows what Honda accord. It shakes while you drive, the door handle is falling off, it smells like mildew and has a permanent engine light on. For starters. I was thrilled with the way it vibrated my thighs all the way to the mall cause I figured I might be working off some cellulite that way, but I digress.

As we were driving home to go to a movie all of a sudden a new sound and a wholly new shaking motion got thrown in to the mix. I wondered aloud what it might be and Kristin in a panicked tone exclaimed it was probably the tire. We pulled off and sure enough, it was flat as a pancake.

We were obviously disappointed that this meant we would miss our movie and be sitting on the side of the road for who knows how long until help arrived (and roadside assistance is not known for it's prompt arrival) and Kristin was also a little perturbed at the fact that this would happen at all.

I have to say, I quite enjoyed it. We decided to list the good things like it wasn't freezing like usual, there was plenty of gas in the car to keep the heat on, and of course the fact that she had me to entertain her. (that may or may not have been on the list.) Things kept looking up from there.

Help arrived in 20 minutes instead of 40 or 60, and we had a great time joking around with the guy as he removed the tire with witty comments like "Do you want Kristin to get out of the car before you jack it up--she's pretty heavy." And, "Do you know where we can make a fair trade - one husband for four tires." Oh, me. The good times were rolling then.

Honestly, we laughed a lot, we found out there was a movie 3o min later we could still make and we arrived in a good mood. So good Kristin even shoved my face in a drinking fountain while I was drinking and tried not to choke on the water in her mouth she enjoyed it so much.

So see? Lemons can be made out of lemonade. And on top of all that I learned many a valuable lesson from the movie He's Just not that into you, which I highly recommend for all single ladies. Especially the ones who are just coming out of a breakup, or who should be. The message- let's stop lying to each other and ourselves. And stop telling stories about someone you know who against all odds made it work out to try and give hope to someone it is clearly NOT going to work out for. Exception my friends, not the rule.

6 comments:

kwallace said...

ah shaurs. this blog makes me miss you! if we lived in the same city, we'd go see that movie together and then you'd give me a stern lecture and i would agree with you and then continue my self-destructive patterns. don't you miss that? (:

Delsa said...

Wallace, you and Shauri are both crazy, but you are fun ones to live in the same city, at least for those of us who like to laugh.
What a fun day - Sisters really are the best.
That car has really had it's day. Not quite sure why you chose to drive it to Troy. Wouldn't have been my first choice.
Kristin - cute sweater - did you buy anything pink?

Elizabeth Downie said...

Kristin shoved your face in the drinking fountain!? That's hilarious. Sounds like good times.

Rachael said...

I was shopping in the same place this day. And you didn't miss much with the movie. How are you? I should probably call soon.

Kris said...

I only wish I could've been there...I love being stranded on the road with you. Remember that trip when we were headed back from MI to DC and we got stuck for hours behind that semi accident? Oh the laughs we all had.

That's a mighty cute sweater Kristin is wearing. Might I ask where she found that number?

Shauri said...

You might indeed. She got it at Anthropologie, and I agree. It IS very cute.

Which trip from DC did we NOT get stuck on the road?? How about when you hit a deer and Lorile and Robin were peeing on the side of the road? :)

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.