Sunday, March 22, 2009

Some recognition please


I have an important question: Do you know who invented the microwave?? I bet you don't. Cause I don't, and not that you're not smarter than me, but I'm just sayin' I don't think you do. So here's my point. I bet all of you know who invented airplanes. The Wright brothers, right? Wright. (ha, ha.....ha.)

Anyway, is flying ANY bit more important than the microwave? Do you fly every day? Well how many times a day do you use your microwave? As I was heating up a delicious meal yesterday afternoon in...TWO MINUTES...I suddenly felt a lot of love for that man or woman and it struck me that they deserved some recognition. I mean how much time do we save cooking? Have you ever tried to live even one full day without a microwave? Bet you can't. I can't.

The man's name is Perry Spencer. And Perry Spencer, today I salute you. Bravo for ensuring I can eat when I'm hungry and not 30 minutes later.

While I'm on the subject, I suggest we make March Madness (the first Thursday and Friday) a national holiday. Shawn, my brother, seems to think this sends a bad or wrong message, but I'm telling you productivity at work has GOT to be its lowest on these two days. In fact, here's some quotes from an article I read:

"It's tough to tell how "March Madness" affects workplace productivity. Employment consulting firm Challenger Gray & Christmas has made varying estimates since 2002. Last year, it said that NCAA-watching could cost employers as much as $1.7 billion in wasted time."


Why not just let everyone take it off and save some money? You can have back President's Day, I don't really know what to do with that one anyway.

I thought it was also funny that if you watch it online at work there is a "boss button" you can click to make sure that if your manager walks up the games disappear and a spreadsheet comes up. Here's some stats on that:

"And in reference to the discussion yesterday about productivity and March Madness, there's this: The "Boss Button," which hides the video player with a spreadsheet, was clicked 1.5 million times yesterday compared with 2.5 million times for the whole tournament in 2008."

Sadly, Michigan lost in the second round, but they put up a good fight and I was proud of the way they showed up this year. Next year should be awesome baby as Dick Vitale would say.

Happy March Madness one and all---and please take a minute or two today to stop and think about the man who brought you the microwave.

1 comment:

Katy said...

I need a boss button for reading blogs!

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.