Sunday, April 13, 2008

The End


Everyone who knows me well is aware that I have this, er, issue, with serious separation anxiety. I sort of just start latching on to people and liking them much too quickly, and often without reciprocation until they are somehow brutally ripped from my life. You know, like when they finish filling up their tank with gas and have to say goodbye, or when the plane lands and they are forced to go along with their original travel plan. OK, I'm adding a bit of dramatic effect, but it's serious and pathetic and I am left to mourn the loss of many a person that has no idea the impact they made on my life or how sad I am to see them go.

Today was the last game for the Flash in their inaugural season and I am officially in mourning. My usual disorder was exacerbated by the fact that the relationship I built with these guys through documentary is one-sided by design. I spy on them all season long and ask them about their lives and get to know them pretty well, while I hide behind the camera. I tried to figure out why I'm so sad they are leaving, and it's not just them or their friendship, it's the fact that they (and their story) have been my LIFE for 8 months. So, what does this mean? I have no life. Once again I'm forced to start over and find a new life. Is this a single-person phenomenon? The constant starting over on creating "a life?" Or maybe it's just a Shauri problem.

There were so many good moments throughout the season, and as I sat in IHOP tonight with the whole Flash staff and listened to them re-hash all those memories I found myself extremely blessed and grateful for the opportunity I had to be part of this project and this whole Flash operation. I laughed (Fes), cried (Brad), and truly lived out a little dream of my own. The opportunity to make a film was gravy enough, but on top of the film, I was put me right smack in the epicenter of my favorite world - the world of sports.

There's more work to do (lots!) but as I say goodbye to the team and the season I feel the need to remind myself how lucky I am to have been part of the whole event.

And now to end on a more entertaining note I'll share one of the Fes stories that was shared at IHOP. They're always good for a smile.

Travis talked about how Fes came to him one game and said that he would need 2 tickets for the game that night. Travis naturally asked, "What are their names?" Clearly you have to leave them at will call for SOMEONE. Fes however was incensed and turned to Travis and said, "That is not your business!" Travis was so stunned by this answer that he could only stare at him with mouth open. He finally just gave the tickets to the team trainer and told him to resolve it with Fes.

Ah, Groupies. Could be a whole film just on them. Apparently, Travis has also been faced with challenging ticketing problems like when a player will have two girls come and give specific directions to "Make sure they are seated on opposite sides of the court." And people think athletes aren't smart. Pshaw.

9 comments:

Aly said...

So do you get to finish working on your film here, or does this mean you're leaving us again too?

Aly said...

"Us" meaning the Oldhams, you know the family that latches on to people whether it is reciprocated or not?

Katy said...

I LOVE being a part of a team. What a cool experience you've had. Thanks for sharing.

Kris said...

You're right - those athletes ARE smart...(cough).

Sorry to hear that you must bid farewell to the life of a Utah Flash stalker. I'm sure you'll find others, maybe not as funny or odd as Fes, but there will be others. By the way, LOVE the new photo of you in the crowd below. ( :

Amy said...

I can't wait to see the finished product. I also can't imagine just how much work it's going to take to sum up a whole season. But I'll be ready to enjoy it when you're done.

Shauri said...

Aly--Travis and Garrett were over for dinner tonight and we all got a good laugh. Garrett said, "Well done aly, well done." FYI, we reciprocate.
I'll be around at least through June doing some editing and stuff.

Delsa said...

I commiserate with your sorrow. I think it is always hard to leave one experience behind and start a new one. But you always seem to find new rewarding experiences to fill in the next period of time.
I'm anxious to see the finished product too. Will I get to?

Shauri said...

Yes. When I finish this I will show it to ALL OF YOU. If all goes well it will actually be on TV somewhere for you to see.

xóchitl said...

it is the end, but a lot of hard work you put in. plus you'll have something GREAT to show for it. still, i can't believe you didn't travel all the way down to the RGV with the Flash. so sad for me.

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.