Friday, April 25, 2008

Gotta Have it


Last night, Garrett and I were driving home from a little brother-sister trip to the mall (Garrett LOVES these), when I realized I was sort of hungry and craving frozen yogurt.

I asked Garrett if he wanted some and he said, "No. I'm not hungry." And then after a long pause, "But you can get some if you want." Permission granted. Those of you who know Travis and Garrett understand how important permission truly is.

After more thought, I decided Coldstone was a much better option than Hogi Yogi and as I turned in to the parking lot Garrett said thoughtfully, "I might be able to do some Coldstones." The tide was beginning to turn.

We got in to Coldstones and he expressed how overwhelmed he was by all the options. He was about to revert to his standard choice of Peanut Butter Cup Delight (or whatever it's called) when he tasted the dark chocolate mint ice cream and decided to go with Mint Mint Chocolate Chocolate Chip. What he failed to pay attention to, was that this choice was made with the green mint ice cream and not the one he sampled.

Being the financial genius and saavy consumer he is, when asked what size he wanted, he quickly did the math and informed me that the biggest one was only 60 cents more so that was the logical choice. "Give me the Gotta Have it!" he proclaimed. After this decision he noticed they were making his concoction with green and not brown ice cream. I explained in hushed tones what his mistake was, and although disappointed that it wasn't what he thought he figured it would still be delicious.

I don't know if you've had the Gotta Have it size before, but I'd not seen it until yesterday. The finished portion is said to be 12 oz, but I swear it was as big as Garrett's head. Which by the way, does seem smaller now that he got rid of all that unnecessary hair he was lugging around on his noggin. When Garrett saw it his eyes, got big, but he was up to the task. (ps. this picture was taken after he had already been eating for a while.)

Until he tasted it. And decided he didn't like it. So here's the interesting part to me. He wasn't hungry and didn't want ice cream. He still orders the biggest possible size with an ice cream he doesn't really like. Then he goes to town on it and eats more ice cream than would be necessary to feed a small island nation. These are the mysteries of Garrett.

Two other items of note:

1. I ordered the peanut butter cup delight and was not disappointed. I might have just swung it tantalizingly in front of Garrett as he chowed on the ice cream he didn't like. After several bites he did end up eating mine too.

2. Garrett assured me that when people read this post the only comments would be about his hair and not about the ice cream. I don't know if I have now pushed the comments toward that path or away from it, but his hair does look marvelous. In fact, he caught me staring at it twice yesterday instead of listening to what he was saying, and I told him that it could have made all the difference in his dating this year if he had handled his business sooner. He made some comment about if that could have really made such a big impact and I replied, "In Provo, girls prefer to date guys who don't look like drug dealers." Just sayin'.

4 comments:

EFN Newsletter said...

Yellow cake batter with brownies mixed in and a little peanut butter sauce on top. Mmm.

Garrett said...

Well told, without a single embellishment, as you can all imagine.

Kris said...

Embellishments? never. That's the beauty of Shauri's writing - she's all about the straight up, cold hard facts.

Delsa said...

I got sick just reading about it and I love ice cream.
The hairs looking good too, but I didn't see the drug dealin' style. It was nice when he was in Australia.

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.