Sunday, April 6, 2008

Falling is funnier when it's not you



Right after Michigan I hopped a flight to California and drove up to Bakersfield for the Flash's last game on the road. Sort of bittersweet. I am feeling pretty attached to them after following them around so much this year and I’m sad to see them go, and see it end. There’s no fanfare or big goodbye, they all just sort of disappear after the last game and that’s it.

There was a funny moment last night when the coach called timeout. It involved a very embarrassing and very public fall, which more importantly, did not involve me. Miraculous indeed. Our center, James Lang, accidentally (I believe) tripped the coach as he walked to the huddle and the coach went flying - sprawled out spread-eagle style on the floor in front of the team. I couldn’t hear what was said, but Lang stood right next to the coach during that huddle with his arm around him and kept patting him and smiling. Lorile and Geoff who were in attendance with their little family had a birds-eye view right behind the bench and really enjoyed it. Maybe the highlight of the game for them and their kids!

In the locker room post-game as I was filming, Coach made a comment 3 different times in his speech about how he didn’t appreciate being tripped by James, but considering they just broke their franchise record for winning streak (3 in a row), he seemed to be in a pretty forgiving mood. I am just disappointed that I missed getting it on film. A huge, wasted opportunity.

2 comments:

Kris said...

I too am sad that you didn't catch that fall on film...sounds like it would've put my Steve & Barry's fall to shame. ( :

Delsa said...

I think it's funnier when you fall.

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.