Thursday, April 3, 2008

Shocker


I flew back to Michigan because it was time to get my Lominger feedback. What this is, for those of you thinking it might be some sort of medical examination, which is exactly what I would have thought about 1 year ago, is a competency based assessment that let's you know what your strengths and weaknesses are.

And here's the shocker..I think you'll be just as surprised as I was..my number one rated strength was....humor. I know - you're stunned. (Well some of you probably really are - like Blake who told me no girls are funny or certain exes who never got what I was laughing at.) Anyway, who could've predicted that one?

I told Nicky (who was giving me the feedback) about the time on my mission when we all had to sit in a circle and say something nice about each missionary in the circle. Everyone was getting all kinds of varied and nice compliments and I got about 20 variations on the same theme. "Shauri, you're really funny." "You make me laugh." "You have a good sense of humor." Yeah--that was when the laughter stopped, and the tears began.

I hope these people know that just like Smokey Robinson in "Tracks of my tears" I am CRYING ON THE INSIDE every time I find out I am completely one dimensional. Just once I want to be recognized for my incomparable business acumen, my organizational capabilities or even my sweet num-chuck skillz.

Ok, so I had a few other competencies at the top, but seriously, WHY DO I HAVE TO DO BE SO *&*^%$ FUNNY??? You think it's easy? Try it - just for one day, try being this funny. I just wish someone, somewhere would recognize my incredible depth.

As a final note, I found out that one of my raters actually gave me a 4 (5 is the highest) on humor even though all the rest were 5's. I don't know who this person (well I do know actually) thinks he is, or what he rates a 5, but he better recognize that this is my one and only competency and he better cough up a 5. The next time he tells me I'm hilarious, I will be forced to beg the question, and what can I do to notch that hilarity up from a 4 to a 5 for you Mr. "I'll say you're talented but not a towering strengths worth of funny?"

11 comments:

Robin said...

Now just how are we supposed to respond to this. Because it is funny, but if I laugh and tell you how funny you are... I am just adding to the problem! Shauri, I think you are a great cook, very intelligent (it takes smarts to be witty), a great athlete, a great conversationist... and the list goes on:) See there is more to you than just humor. The guy that only gave you a 4 instead of a 5 must just be jealous that he is not as funny.. like most of us are!

Katy said...

I think this post is very deep and inspiring.

Kris said...

Unlike Robin...I just think you're funny. ( :

OF COURSE you have a lot of other talents and strengths - it's just that so very few people ARE really funny so that's what people notice. Take pride in that sista.

Unknown said...

Having been through this process...I have all kinds of thoughts. I'm sure we could share all kinds of stories about the craziness of some parts of it.

Next time I talk to Ed, I'll yell at him for only giving you a 4. Clearly under rated.

Kris said...

Well now that I know it was Ed who gave you a 4 - it must've been the mention of his gout on your blog...or his condiment colored sweatshirts, new sneakers, or lack of experience using "sexy language" in work materials (we know nothing of his use of sexy language elsewhere - which really is for the best). Looks like Ed got the last laugh. ( :

Shauri said...

Well I can see my shameless plea for compliments has really paid off. ;)

Just to clarify--it wasn't Ed. I know, I guessed him too. It was actually Alonzo. I've already told him he better re-think his rating.

Delsa said...

Actually my favorite mission story was you teaching your investigators the dance they needed to learn to be Mormons. Oh, never mind, I guess this isn't a "guess which of Shauri's stories are the funniest".

xóchitl said...

you have sweet num-chuck skillz? you really are a renaissance woman.

Antoinette said...

Humor was by far the most interesting competency I had measured in my Lominger feedback. I can tell you it is not my towering strength. Listen to Marcus. Own humor - it's yours.

Lisa said...

Love the picture of the sad clown, nice touch! : )

Aaron said...

Although this was a shameless plea Shauri, i couldn't help but think of all the great talents you posess. remember when you somehow got me to spill my feelings in front of my whole family AND some cousins who just happened to be visiting? that is not easy to do, and although it was embarrasing it was very therapeutic. You would make a great psychiatrist. And ya, you are really funny.

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.