Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Bali - Day 4



I woke up this morning feeling like it was Christmas and I couldn’t wait to see what Santa had up his sleeve. SURFING! I was afraid it would take me all week to stand up on my board, but I am proud to say I did it on my first try! Probably a bit of dumb luck, and there were plenty of wipe-outs too, but I got up consistently and was hooked from the get-go.



We have one Goddess surf leader – Melinda...


and several local surf guides who are fantastic, friendly and super helpful.





Melinda has a great story. She came to surf in Bali from Australia where she had a high-powered job in fashion and a millionaire ex-boyfriend who wanted to marry her. She fell in love with surfing and with her surf instructor and left everything behind to move to Bali and follow this dream. Her family thought she was insane, but she’s been here for a couple years now and seems really, really happy. Sometimes you need a lot less than you think to be content.



After surfing we all went over to a local spa where we got a 90 minute full body massage, scrub, and moisturizing treatment. It felt utterly luxurious and when it was over there were lots of women who looked like piles of jelly with big, happy grins plastered on. Everything is cheap in Bali, and one of the best cheap deals are all the massages around town that cost 10-20 dollars for 60 minutes. Lots of the ladies, Gina in particular, were not opposed to the idea of a massage a day. Not a bad idea to trade in a stressful project load and 60 hour work week for magic fingers dancing on your body, beach time and sunshine every day.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Wow! You look like such a pro!

Aly said...

This travelogue definitely fulfills one of your original intents of this blog... spinsterhood sure looks fun!

Delsa said...

I agree with Aly- I don't think anyone who reads this blog will ever feel sorry for you again. Maybe a bit jealous.

Kris said...

I don't know what Delsa's talking about - I still feel sorry for you.

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.