Thursday, April 23, 2009

Bali - Day 5



Eggs, Fresh fruit, Banana-Ginger pancakes, basically I can get very used to the food we’re being served here every day. I want to take Stephania (our “domestic goddess”) home with me, but I’m pretty sure she’s happy in Bali. Besides, I currently have my own domestic goddess (and author of the prominent culinary blog “You Got Served”) who also prepares some pretty tasty dishes on a regular basis, so I can’t complain.

After yoga we had a couple hours before our surf lesson, so Mondanna, Denise (lovely new goddess-friends from Perth and New York City), and I ran off to the spa “Cool” right down the street to get our toes taken care of for about 8 bucks.



It was heavenly. Right after I snapped this picture of Mondanna, she looked up and laughed and said, “you caught me thinking how lovely and perfect this all is.” And yes, it is.



On the way home I was busily snapping pictures of Denise and Mondanna chatting away and somehow we ended up somewhere we’d never seen before. Now let me just say that getting lost on the way home from Cool requires some serious work because you basically stay on the same street all the way home. Apparently we were all so distracted that we decided to turn down some random straight into a neighborhood with a “pack ‘o wild dogs.” I think it’s the same pack that has followed me through Chile, Argentina, and Guatemala. They’re very well-traveled… and fearsome.

The funny thing was as this one dog was yapping at us and basically completely terrifying me, the owner (who was out on the street washing his car) kept sort of half heartedly calling his dog off. The dog clearly sensed the level of energy applied to this task and kept at his intimidation tactics with no sign of backing off. This clearly angered our NYC gal, Denise, and she started yapping to the dog owner much like you might talk to a taxi driver who’s clearly “taking you for a ride.”

“Can you get your dog? Seriously—you better get your dog!”



She scared me, but the owner wasn’t fazed at all so we picked up our pace, with the dog yapping at us, Denise yapping at the owner, and the owner…washing his car. I know the picture above makes her look harmless, but trust me girlfriend can get her Sasha Fierce on. (This is a compliment Denise.)

I guess I haven’t mentioned yoga yet. That’s cause I skipped it the first day, and I wanted to skip it every other day too, but part of my “new learning” for this trip was supposed to be embracing the art of yoga, so I put on my tight clothes and went. It was incredibly challenging for me (I’m pretty sure I was the only one who was literally dripping sweat on to the floor) and it was an hour and a half! I only have the ability to focus on such a slow sport for 30 minutes to an hour tops. At least we didn’t get asked to do any of the moves Abram, Kristin and I saw on the yoga DVD that required supporting your whole body on your elbows with your knees wrapped around your ears. Don’t ask.

2 comments:

Delsa said...

Maybe you can teach me some of those cool moves. But like you, well, worse than you, I think I'm only up for 15 minutes. Maybe I won't be so envious of your trip any more.

Delsa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.