Thursday, April 23, 2009

Bali - Day 7



Chelsea planned for us to have a break mid-week from surfing. Apparently it helps you to get some rest, and most people end up having their best day of surfing on Thursday. The plan today was to go up to Ubud to see a different side of the island, do some shopping at the market, and visit Wayan from the book Eat, Pray, Love.



We started out at the Sacred Monkey Forrest. Our yoga goddess, Susan, was our guide today and she terrified most of the ladies up front by telling them to keep moving at all times or a monkey might jump on them. There was a lot of frantic and constant movement after that comment.



I for one, wanted a monkey to jump on me (who doesn’t want a monkey pet to wrap it’s cuddly little legs and arms around you?) which freaked everyone out, although a couple of the women asked me to do it because they “just wanted to see.” I have to say, they are a little scary though when they start screeching at each other and going crazy.

At one point on our tour, the opportunity presented itself. Mondanna and I were standing still listening to a story when a little monkey ran right up next to us on a ledge. Mondanna freaked out and ran away, but I held perfectly still and made eye contact, as if to say, “I dare you to jump on me Mr. big talk. Scurrying along scaring people like you’re really going to jump. Ha. Try it.” Yup, my eyes said all that to the little fiend.

Then, Bam. He made the jump and next thing you know, I got me a monkey on my back. Which was all fine and good, until he clambered up to my shoulder and I turned to look at him and his face was just inches from mine. His eyes were all squinty and mean and his mouth was wide open showing sharp little teeth, and it screeched in my face.



Didn’t like that so much. But then I felt a pinch in my shoulder and it was monkey’s ahoy! Off the varmint. Not so cuddly after all.







After the monkey forest, we went to the market, where you find all your usual silly knick knacks you’ll never use once you get home, but I loaded up on presents for the nieces and nephews, and even found a painting I really liked. After I bought the painting, the artists mom and dad let me take some pics of them. Love ‘em.



They were so cute when I showed them the pics on the digital camera and they wanted a copy, but I tried to explain they didn’t come out of the camera. I said if they gave me an address I would mail them, but not sure either of us understood anything the other was saying. The best part was their son trying to get them to smile for the picture and to sit near each other. You can see how close they got and what their “smiles” look like from picture one to picture two.





Next stop was Wayan. We didn’t get to spend much time with her because she had other appointments, but it was fun to meet her, and see that she talks and acts just as she is portrayed in the book. Lots of talk about “man banana.” And how she can help. Eat, Pray, Love has done this lady a world of business.



I had to include these pictures of Gina, because I got her to pose for a picture and she started shaking her money maker



without realizing that there were men sitting behind her enjoying the show. Once I pointed it out, we got this shot:



Lunch was delicious—one of the best things here are all the fresh fruit shakes and smoothies, and of course I never turn down an opportunity.



After lunch we did more shopping and stumbled on some rice paddies out the back window of one of the stores. It was so interesting to see one up close and juxtaposed against the commerce of the market street.



I love it here. It’s a beautiful place filled with beautiful, constantly smiling people.

1 comment:

Delsa said...

Thanks for taking the time to make it come alive for all of us. Looks like you've got another photo albumn in the making.

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.