Friday, October 26, 2007

Bringing the family together


I'm really excited about the direction that the documentary is starting to move in. I'm following a couple human interest stories right now that are touching. One is about a woman who called the ticket office yesterday and asked if she could buy tickets for her family. She said she had been out of work for a while and just barely got a job, but that she knew if she could get all 8 of her boys to these games together it would help to reunite her family. She was really excited about the opportunity to give this gift to her boys and was crying as she talked about what she hoped it would do.

I think what touches me the most is the idea of a mother worried about her family and struggling to make ends meet and the family stick together and it's very relatable to any mom. The fact that the Utah Flash could be a catalyst is definitlely a bonus.

Right now the documentary (the first phase one) is quickly taking shape as a hoop dreams kind of piece. The over-arching idea is that you can live your dream in a way you didn't imagine. Brandt always wanted to play sports, but genetics were a bit against him, still he ends up sitting on the bench in a way he didn't anticipate--as owner. There will be other stories about hopeful players weaved in who dream about playing in the NBA, but also may not end up where they hope. In particular an 18 year old boy who got cut from his high school team and came to try out for the D-league. I don't want to spoil all of it, but it promises to be a very touching story.

Making the film is fun! I love hearing people's stories and putting them in to a medium that can touch many, many people. Stories that in a lot of cases would probably never be heard. It's exciting. I just spoke to a rep from NBA TV today about airing some of my footage. I'll keep you posted as that progresses.

4 comments:

EFN Newsletter said...

That's so exciting! I can't wait to see it and hear about it develop. Don't you wish you could just do it all full time?

Lolo said...

i'm so excited to finally keep up on your life! it is so fascinating as a spinster, you know. good to hear that your documentary is going well...can't wait to watch it!

Delsa said...

I am so glad you are doing your own blog, you had kind of bombed out of the other one. You are so entertaining---you make me laugh, you make me cry, you mooooove me!
Not only that when I start laughing and your Dad asks why and I tell him I'm reading your blog he is right by my side.
We'll expect more from Boston or are you going someplace else, you didn't tell us and I don't know where they are playing.

julie g said...

i've been waiting for a girl like you, to come back into my life. . . seriously! so good to connect with you again. (thank heaven for blogs and for random links that lead us to lost friends). your blog title is WAY better than mine, and your stories are WAY more interesting. spinsters rule! however, i have no idea what the utah flash is. is it like the green flash in the caribbean?! :)

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.