Monday, May 19, 2008

Those who don't drink...hike


Or, at least that was what Brian told me on the phone tonight.

At the end of a long day of what felt like endless annoyances and frustrations, I decided the only way to relieve my frustration and find peace was to hike up a mountain and sit at the top just soaking in beautiful nature. A little physical abuse followed by meditation. Meditation on WHY THE HECK I JUST KILLED MYSELF HIKING THAT MOUNTAIN. And I assure you, we are not "hikers" in my family. Why work that hard without the opportunity to score any points with a ball?



Let me back it up. This past weekend Wallace convinced me to hike to the Y with her. I'd never done it and it looked pretty easy, so I said yes. I won't explain exactly how out of shape I was, or how hard it was, but I will tell you that the next day I literally could not move anything on my body below my waist. I have never, ever been that sore in my life. I found muscles in my HIPS. And ANKLES.

So, the point is, I calculatingly chose to do this to myself again. I knew what I was getting in to and I did it. And that is why Brian said, "Those who don't drink, hike." And he might be right, although it must be a lot easier to just tilt a glass to the lips. I'm pretty sure my arm muscles wouldn't be screaming at me in the same way tomorrow, but I also wouldn't have felt a sense of extreme accomplishment at reaching the top, or seen quite the same view. And had it be real.

I feel better, I can face another day. So for all of you who don't drink, I'm telling you, go take a hike.

4 comments:

kwallace said...

i'm so proud of you! next goal: run to the top!

Kris said...

Wallace knows how to reach for the sky. Do it Shauri, run! ( :

Shauri said...

Whatever. I have a goal to make it to the top w/o passing out. Running is well beyond my dreams.

Unknown said...

Amen to that, Shauri. I’ve been a-hikin’-not-a-drinkin’ since the Blodgett days myself. Wonder if I could get some sort of honorary lds get-out-of-hell-free pass for walking the walk without talking the talk for every time I walked into a smoky bar, ordered a water, tipped a dollar, and got asked “what are ya, kid, one a them mormons er somethin’?” “No sir, just a freak. “ In that vein, I’ll be moving along now, and lest the winds of serendipity blow the same way twice, might not pass this way again. But I’m bryandavid griffith at hot mail dot com at present should you care to know. bryan.

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.