Friday, May 9, 2008

Unforseen Delay

I was sitting on my flight enjoying the pre-flight water you get served when you are a first class citizen, when I noticed that the traffic getting on the plane had stopped.

The pilot's voice came over the loudspeaker with the following announcement, "Sorry folks but there is going to be a slight flight delay." Ugh, I knew things had been going too smoothly. I waited to hear if it was mechanical or weather, but was surprised to hear something I have never heard before.

He continued, "Unfortunately we have a woman down. I repeat, a woman down." What??? "A woman passed out on the jetway and we currently have paramedics helping her. As soon as we get her taken care of we will continue loading the flight and try to be as close to an on-time arrival as possible."

I've been on a LOT of flights, and I have never heard that one. Woman down.

The most intriguing part of the story came after they started moving people again. "Folks, we've removed the woman from the jetway, and she seems to be doing OK." That seemed like a good place to stop - or at least logical. Apparently this pilot was very thorough and thought we should know, "The woman is now at a help desk where they are helping her to re-book her travel. We are assured that she will be able to get to her destination when she is feeling better."

Perhaps I am callous and uncaring, but did we really need that information? I thought it was odd, and entertaining, and I for one am relieved that she was in fact able to re-book her travel and get to her destination. I was hoping at the end of the flight we would get another update about when and where she was going. No such luck.

9 comments:

Kris said...

I'll bet that pilot lists "detail oriented" first on his resume. Glad it was a short delay. ( :

#1 GAL, Dr. Ty! said...

Hey!

That IS interesting...

It reminds me of a somewhat similar situation almost a decade ago... but instead of a first-class airplane seat, insert a Greyhound bus seat, with a driver who had never been to the northeast before (driving us from Boston to NYC), with a broken AC-system, a few wrong turns, and oh yeah -- the woman who fainted and turned our 4+ hour trip into a 6-hour disaster. Not to mention that at the rest stop one of the passengers refused to get back on the bus and we had to wait for the cops to come get him before we could leave.

I bought a car that summer.

DTR said...

Ahem, I hate to be the one to point this out, but given your own history with "woman-down" syndrome, I would expect a little more empathy for the equilibrium-challenged population.

Robin said...

Little did you know I was that woman on the jetway....I bet you care now whether or not I was able to reschedule my flight dont' you?! Just kidding. That is really funny.. I have never heard that reason for a delay either.

Lisa said...

Well, weren't you wondering? I for one appreciate his thoroughness. : )

Oh, and I'll get you for the "capro" comment!

Lisa said...

I'm laughing so hard right now because I just realized that Dan actually put a link to your woman down story in his comment. Now that guy is thorough!

Shauri said...

Almost as thorough as the pilot.

And fyi to dan--I FELL I didn't pass out, and believe me, the last thing I want anyone to do at that point is detail the experience to the listening public.

DTR said...

the last thing I want anyone to do at that point is detail the experience to the listening public.

Oh, I see. That explains why you provided a blow-by-blow of each incident on your blog ON THE INTERNET, which is a pretty good way of keeping things hush-hush.

Shauri said...

It's different when you tell the story. :)

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.