Monday, May 26, 2008

A Traveler's Dream

Travis and I began our 9 million hour trip across the country (Utah-NC) to meet our family in the outerbanks this weekend. The day began at 3:30 when we woke up to go meet our 6am flight. The best way to begin the trip is not sheer exhaustion. It did work out a little better for me than Travis though..I got upgraded and he was sent back to coach. I tried to get him upgraded with me (like NWA will do to a companion) but the Delta gate agent explained to me (in a very patronizing way)that THEY only do upgrades for people with a certain class of ticket...and that's NOT your brother dear. He should have made sure I hadn't only gotten 3 hours of sleep last night, as I was ready to jump over the desk and strangle this pompous little man with my bare hands. I let him live another day through great self-restraint, but I'm not sure it was the right move as I have now left him to punish other unsuspecting travelers with his special brand of customer service.

The trip continued with Travis getting stuck in a seat next to a very large man, and those of you who know Travis know how he values personal space. He should have taken advantage of the man's size and used his beefy arm as a pillow. After we boarded our second flight he texted me (in the front of the plane) to tell me that he had left his brand new book (bought in SLC airport) on the last plane and he would have to buy a new one. Imagine the frustration. We got off the plane in Norfolk (at last), went to re-buy Travis' book, and officially entered the world of Southern-syle S-L-O-W.

I mean EVERYTHING and EVERYONE moves in slow motion around here. The car rental place took an hour (with 3 agents and 8 people in line), the baggage took an hour, Wendy's drive thru got the order wrong and it took 15 minutes just to get the right stuff inside. And nobody is fazed by this pace. I realized that I expect life to move at the speed of light, and I'm not sure if it's a problem with me or with them, I just know it was incredibly annoying.

We finally got on the road for the last leg of our 12 hour trip to North Carolina (I mean..this is NOT an international trip, right?) arriving at the beach house only to hear Travis exclaim with a barbarian yawp, "AAssrrrfffggg I left my jacket on the second leg of my flight!!"

Apparently, he's not a strong traveler on no sleep. Let the vacation begin.

2 comments:

Delsa said...

Poor Travis. Shauri, since you are so small, why didn't you offer to trade seats with him. On top of that, the man would probably have loved to have you use his arm as a pillow.

Aly said...

So sad. Oh well, nothing that a week in the outer banks can't fix. So, we going to see you again before you move? Party for Emma and Aaron's fiance' Katy this Sunday if you're back...

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.