Tuesday, August 26, 2008

It's not rude to be nude


I had a trip for work that took me to Seattle. I went with Elizabeth. She reminds me a lot of mom. Great organizer, very detailed - not so good with things that don't make it on to a list. Here are a couple I would suggest go on the to-do list. Don't lose your keys. Don't lose your blackberry. Don't take pictures of "lusty ladies" in the middle of a busy street. Ok, that last one is partially my fault.

After lunch in Seattle and a bit of walking around town, Elizabeth suddenly realized that she had lost the keys to our car. I won't bore you with ALL the conversations and challenges that happened as we tried to solve this seemingly simple problem, but I will say that we couldn't get a tow truck to fit in the garage, we couldn't get a locksmith to make us a key, and we did talk to customer service no fewer than 10 times as we spent about 4 hours in the rain trying to solve this problem. We finally did get a locksmith to open the car so we could get our luggage, and then we took a taxi to our hotel. Well two. The first one we got in we were forced to exit.

There were exciting moments, and a twist of bitter irony. After hours of searching, as we were finally on our way to the hotel (in our second taxi) Elizabeth heard a message Elizabeth from the art museum that they found her keys. They were closed by then.

And it is kind of amusing that Elizabeth lost her keys while doing something very important. She was in front of the art museum taking a picture (in the middle of a busy street) of a sign across the street titled, "Lusty Ladies - It's not rude to be nude!" I beg to differ. In some cases, it is definitely rude to be nude. Like at the dinner table.

I think the trip ended appropriately with Elizabeth and I racing to the airport to catch our flights...with not a minute to spare. As a parting gift Elizabeth left her blackberry on the back seat.

10 comments:

Delsa said...

Who is this Elizabeth. I definitely think I would like her. The story brings to mind the time I left my camera on the back seat in Istanbul. I will have you know, however, I don't keep too many lists these days. I find I can't remember where I put them.

Kari Badell said...

Was it Chicago or Seattle? If it was both, boy are you busier than I thought!

Shauri said...

Nice catch faithful reader. Seattle ONLY.

KA said...

On the way to JFK to catch our return flight, I once left my backpack with my driver's license, $200 in cash, 2 credit cards, return plane tickets, and camera on the Subway. I would rather be nude at the dinner table than go through that ordeal again.

ekelsey said...

This is hilarious. We never verbally acknowledged that that was the exact moment when I lost the keys - but diving into the middle of oncoming traffic was definitely it. Lesson learned! I, too, agree that it is rude to be nude at the dinner table...and many other places!

Lisa said...

Love the new look! You better hope we don't have any happy adventures like this in NYC; I'm sure I'm not near as patient or good humored as Elizabeth! : )

Aly said...

You are so great at telling these stories! I love your style girl, both writing style and the new blog look that is...

Delsa said...

I LOVE the new look Shauri.

Brian Donovan said...

Amazing Elizabeth story, Shauri. I can't wait to hear all of the details when I get back.

Kent and Emily Cook said...

I have to admit, I grew up in Tacoma, Washington and we had plenty of jokes about the Lusty Lady in Seattle. I am glad to hear she is sticking up for herself in saying it is not rude to be nude. Apparently, she got her advice from the people here in Europe. Little tid-bit: don't go to the saunas here unless you are very comfortable with your body--and everyone else's...
So funny to read your blog, Shar. Miss you.

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.