Saturday, September 20, 2008

Color me Confused



Look, I'm the first person to get in line and cheer for a happy ending at the end of some serious persistence, and a hard fought victory, but come on, there's a big difference between persistence and just choosing not to live in reality.

Someone on match, who goes by a name that includes the word lucky, sent me several "winks". Let me first say, a "wink" is the chicken-*** way of contacting someone to see if you can elicit a return wink before you take that daring plunge of sending an actual email that says, "I'd like to get to know you." But I ask you, for someone with no picture (like lucky***) and no risk of face to face contact, how much guts does it take to just send the bloody email? I mean you're already online - go crazy. Of course he found the courage and sent some emails when he got no response to the winks.

His emails included:
#1: Write me please.

#2: I'm not giving up. Why won't you write??

#3: i am not giving up just yet :-) come on one email won't hurt you......come on, don't be too stubborn :-)

I have been waiting,
for a girl like you,
to come into my life..
Yeah waiting, for someone who
Could make me realize,
that I've been waiting for you.


I have never seen a more blatant misuse of foreigner in my life.

Finally, when I was online checking my messages, he caught me and sent an IM. An IM popping up is both sneaky and scary. Because it comes while you are online, and they know you are online which is why they sent it, it feels like they are watching you. This makes me feel much less comfortable about ignoring them. It's as if someone came up to you in a room and said, "Hello." And you just look at them and then walk away. That's IM to me.

So, I responded.

We chatted briefly, he asked why I didn't respond, and I told him I don't respond to people without pictures. Seemed like a fast and easy out, I could be on my way. He told me he would email me pictures and then I could decide. Hello--talk about a trick-play. I mean, it essentially says that 1. If you reject them based on a picture you are a shallow beast, and 2. If you reject them based on a picture you could smash their fragile ego.

Of course on the other hand, if you agree to go out when you aren't interested and didn't like their picture you are also screwed. It was a very clever play. Touche lucky***.

I told him I was late, had to get off IM and would check my email later. He sent the pics, I saw them, I wasn't interested. In my defense, I wasn't interested even before the pics. I didn't respond to the email. I know, I suck. But WHAT DO YOU SAY??

He told me when I signed off that he would not contact me again, the ball was in my court. Lies, all lies.

Two days later and email came asking why I hadn't responded and telling me I was very mean.

He may be right. But so is he. I figured this would never end if I didn't reply, so I did. I told him that I didn't think he was my type, and that frankly he was a little too aggressive and challenging, but I wished him the best of luck in his search.

He wrote back a reply thanking me for the feedback, and I washed my hands of a very uncomfortable online encounter.

Apparently lucky*** believes not only in making his own luck, but he also has a very short memory. I truly believe this is how Bill Murray felt in Groundhog Day when...

Today in my inbox....a "wink" from Lucky***. More Foreigner to come?

4 comments:

Rain in My Head said...

Now this is what I've been waiting for. LOL. What happened to normal guy from the last post :)?

Aly said...

Ah, this brings back such memories! I should have had a blog back then. I received one intro email from a guy older than my dad who, in his introductory email, offered to make me a grandmother instantly and a mother eventually if that was my desire. You just can't make this stuff up! What great blog fodder.

Shauri said...

Sorry my dear Mary--you'll just have to stay tuned. How will I maintain my readership without cliff hangers? :)

xóchitl said...

that really does sound aggressive. ewwww.
aly, i cannot believe that story. instantly make me a grandmother? well sign me up!

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.