Sunday, September 7, 2008

People love politics


(Look at that embrace. See--they're getting along. Can't we? )

How about the number or responses to my Obama/McCain blog? Wow. It's interesting how fired up people get too. I never understood the old adage that you should never talk politics or religion with someone because it was too personal. Maybe because I never made politics personal to me. At any rate, thanks for all the thought-provoking repsonses. I defintely think there are two sides and two stories and for me, anyone who is so completely one way or the other and doesn't see the other side at all is probably a little closed off to reality. Most good political answers to me, are somewhere in the middle of both sides of rhetoric.

Everyone's opinion is a good opinion. Let's try not to be angry at each other for our difference's of opinion. I actually love when people write in with facts about the candidates because I learn from them and apply it to my decision. I want to hear what real people think and not just the media and pundits.

So a few thoughts on the comments I was left on my last post:


1. I will vote for either McCain or Obama and not write in, because I really do support both of them for different reasons. And bottom line, even after I make my decision, I'm not going to angry if the other guy wins. I think for the first time in an election that I can remember (and I'm pretty old) I am excited and happy about both options. Usually I can't stand either one.

2. After long political discussions with Travis and Garrett (And Garrett is a strong Democrat) it was decided that it doesn't matter how much experience Palin has. (And if your argument is that McCain is going to die and you don't want to be left with inexperience than how can you support Obama who will start in the exec position with the same amount of inexperience?) The president is surrounded by advisors who have oodles of experience and he/she make no decisions w/o their direction anyway--so if you're smart and you tend to make good choices (witness Pallin a staunch Republican voting to support homosexual rights) then your amount of experience is mostly rhetoric. I hardly consider Palin a PTA mom and not a government leader. She's done more and made more bold moves and implemented more change and rooted out more corrupt politicians than any other presidential or vice-presidential candidate in this race.
Finally, I will be thrilled to have candidates who DON'T have experience. Maybe they'll try something different that actually works!

3. McCain was not being brave or even liberally minded in choosing Palin. He chose her because it was his only shot. It got people talking and put him back in the spotlight and he hoped it would get him the Hillary voters. It won't. I am glad he chose her, but I don't give him any credit beyond his own best interest for the decision.

4. I was moved by both Obama AND McCain's speeches in their respective conventions. I found a lot more to like in McCain than I ever have previously. I really liked that McCain said he will use not only Republicans, but Democrats and independents in his cabinet choices. This is huge, and I believe he will. I think Obama is the most eloquent and charismatic speaker and I like his authenticity. I think he is our best bet to improve diplomatic relations. I am optimistic that both will move beyond party lines to make good choices and do things differently. Again, I believe balance is the answer.

5. I can't believe people aren't struggling with the choice. I hope no one comes in with their mind already made up. If you can't be open enough to really look in to and learn about the other candidate how can you make a truly educated decision?

Love to hear any thoughts you have. Kristin sent me a link to an article about Obama and the economy that dispels some of the over the top Republican rhetoric on his views. You can read it here: OBAMA ARTICLE.

Open your minds people - look at both sides. The coolest thing about this election is a-political people like myself actually care. The numbers for the Obama's speech were higher than we've ever had in an election and actually reached or surpassed American Idol numbers. Imagine that. People give a crap. No matter which way it goes, this is good news and refreshing and energizing change is in the air!

4 comments:

Aly said...

Angry or passionate? I guess sometimes it's hard to tell the difference in a blog comment. This is a more exciting election than I've experienced in my short voting lifespan. I'm thrilled that people are fired up. I think the real race has just begun and you can be sure I'll be studying both sides as obsessively as ever... including the great article you linked to.

Delsa said...

I appreciate your bogs Shauri. I never hear the news or read the news and I feel very unprepared for this election, though thanks to Abram, I will be able to vote absentee. I am quite torn myself and I like reading what everyone has to say.

Kris said...

Shauri, it's amazing how many thoughts I share with you...little wonder why I like you so much. I personally have always felt that it's most important to vote for the right candidate, not for a political party. I'll continue to sit by and study up on both sides. I am really interested to see how things shake up after the debates. Hope all is well with you.

Kari Badell said...

Unfortunately I don't feel like we have a good candidate on either side. This is an election of firsts and it's getting people excited and that is fantastic! I just hope that people do what you suggested and get educated on both sides. The media today is so swayed that it's really up to us to study the issues and candidates, and make a decision. I hope that people don't get too caught up in the "rock star" image that is Obama and study his issues. We'll see what happens in November...

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.