Friday, October 17, 2008

I Believe



I've been delinquent this week and have several posts to catch up on, but before I go back and recap some highlights from the week....PEOPLE...how 'bout them sox? I know most of you could probably care less about baseball, and even less about the Red Sox, but when something as magical happens as what occurred at Fenway last night...well it's time to stop, reflect and pay tribute.

A quick summary: The Red Sox were down 3-1 in the series and on the brink of elimination. They've looked worse and worse with each progressive game this series. In the 6th inning they were down 7-0. I turned off the TV and went to bed. At almost midnight, I got a phone call from Travis that involved a LOT of screaming and laughing. Turns out they made a huge comeback and scored 7 RUNS. All tied up in the 8th. I turned the TV back on. In the bottom of the 9th, with 2 outs and a couple men on base, JD Drew (who had earlier hit a 2 run homer in the rally) hit a rope out to left that scored Youkilis and won the game. Elation.

See game winner here.

Folks, this is the biggest comeback in a post-season game since 1929.

Terry Francona (GM), who has been part of enough amazing rides with this team (including coming back from 3-1 to the Yankees -first team to ever come back from 3-1 and win) to not be easily carried away, called this game "magical."

There is no team that is more drama-rama, or more "we can come back from any hole we're in" than these guys. Which means you have to love 'em. Proof positive of this fact is (and here's how I'll tie it back to a subject most of you are MORE interested in - Match.com) an email I got this morning. And from a Yankee fan no less:

"You gotta hand it to those Sox;
an amazing metaphor for
all of us in those times
when it looks hopeless.
What a game. What an inspiration.

And, yes, I was raised with the Yankees.

-SipT"


I couldn't have said it better SipT.
A quick digression: Do you think he was really raised with the Yankees? Like Mowgli was raised with wolves? Cause that's kind of cool, but strange.
I'm back.
In dark economic and political times, who better than than the beloved Bo Sox to show us....hope? And what a fighting effort can do when combined with hope. Jason Varitek said it best after tha game, "You can't take away belief."

I'm here to say you can. Because I did. I went to bed. But the good news is one simple miracle is enough to remind you and bring you right back in to the fold of believers. Red Sox Nation--I extend a global apology for forgetting that with you, the impossible is always possible. I DO believe.

p.s. Anyone want to guess what the handle SipT means?

4 comments:

KA said...

I'll have you know, I watched the entire game. Even responded to my Red-Sox-fan-friend's mortified text when they were down 7-0 by saying, "Don't worry, there's still time." Props please? Thank you.

Delsa said...

Now this was one blog really worth reading. We are traveling and luckily staying in a place that I can get internet for free. That almost never happens. So when I opened your blog and asked Dad if he knew what was going on and he told me they were down 3-1 in a rather despondent tone, I decided to read your blog to him. I think he might have lost faith as well. What's this family coming to. Thank goodness for "ka".

Garrett said...

I feel it is my duty to correct you. The comeback on the yankees we were down 3-0. Anyway, heartbreaking loss, just brutal.

Garrett said...

Oh and my dear mother, I never lost faith, stayed tuned the entire game.

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.