Monday, October 6, 2008

K.I.T.


First things first. I had another date with "hockeydad" this weekend. I use the term date loosely since we made the decision to be friends moving forward and not use scary words like date. So I suppose what we really did was hang out. (On what felt a lot like a date.) We hung out at a local caramel joint and then went to a comedy club. I would give more details except for the fact that at the end of the "hanging out" he asked me if I ever googled myself. Because I am exceptionally (above average anyway) bright, I figured out he could very well be reading this blog and I'd better be a bit more cautious about what I put on here. Not that I wouldn't tell him everything I write - we all know I'm not one to hold back - but it might be better for him to hear it rather than read it.

Moving on. I had another match.com date tonight. It was the standard, "Let's meet for coffee." I have to tell you, I didn't want to go at all, and I should have followed my instincts. This guy has been trying to get me to meet him for a LONG time. I finally caved.

I showed up to the selected coffee joint and he was standing outside, cup in hand. OK. I thought we might go in, take a seat, and maybe even grab me one. Rookie error apparently. He said it was pretty busy inside and maybe we should just go for a walk outside. I said, fine, but it's a little cold, so maybe I'll just grab some hot chocolate to keep me warm while we walk. He agreed, we walked inside and he waited while I got my cup 'o cocoa.

This didn't really bother me, I mean I'm fine with buying my own cocoa, but I did make a mental note. I mean, not really that gentlemanly after he kept begging me to meet him. (As Abram pointed out, he was under no obligation to do it. I agree. Just telling you what the average gal is thinking.)

We walked around the block. Then we walked around the block again. I didn't really get what was going on. I mean--was this the end objective to just keep walking around the same block with no real purpose, and if so, how long would we have to keep doing it?

Just when I figured we were about to turn another block he said, "Well, we're both parked on Liberty, should we just walk that way to our cars?"

Huh?

It was so bizarre. I didn't feel the slightest connection to him, and apparently he didn't feel it for me either. I was actually grateful we could cut the night short and I appreciated not having to spend another hour circling the vicinity pretending I wanted to be there...but there was a piece of me that was a little bugged. I mean, sure I was done with him, but how could he feel the same? Hello- look at me. I'm awesome. And I'm kidding. Yeah, not really.

So now I'm in the mental state of "peace out." Nice knowing you, and thanks for giving me 45 minutes of your valuable time. It was at least kind that he didn't just look me up and down, make his assessment, shake hands and leave.

We get to the car, and the following is our fond farewell:

SQ: well, this is me.
Runnerman: Yeah, I'm a few more up.
SQ: (nodding and reaching out for a firm handshake.) OK. Well. It was...nice to meet you?
Runnerman: (goes in for the hug instead, he has a very gentle, almost feminine grip.) It was nice to meet you too.

The hug throws me off. I kind of stand there awkwardly for a minute cause the hug makes me think there's more to say. Plus it seems like you're supposed to wait for the obligatory, "I'll call you" even though both of you know he doesn't mean it. It just makes you feel like there's closure. Pause. More awkwardness. I round the car, open my door and give him an odd half smile.

Runnerman: Well..hey...

I just want the pain to end. Make him stop talking.

Runnerman: ...Keep in touch, ok?

Seriously? Keep in touch?

SQ: Uh-huh.

One more puzzled look as I climb in my car and gun it out of there.

I have never had a more odd experience in my life. No one's told me after a first encounter to K.I.T since 3rd grade. I plan to mail him a letter tonight. Hopefully he can paste it in his yearbook.

3 comments:

KA said...

Hang on a second here. This guy begs you forever to "meet for coffee" and once you do, he's under no obligation to actually provide the coffee (or cocoa, as it were)? I vehemently disagree. He most certainly is under obligation. Freak.

Lisa said...

This sounds awful. Terrible. Jerk! And for Abram, the guy asks (or begs) you and HE IS UNDER OBLIGATION TO BUY! In fact, he should have given Shauri gas money just for showing up to meet his lame self.

Renee said...

I found your blog through a bizarre series of links in an effort to avoid work. You probably don't remember me at all but we lived in DC at the same time ages ago. I was planning to remain an anonymous stalker until I read this post and laughed because I had a very similar experience the other day. Except my date ended with an awkward car hug and the goob trying to wrestle my head to his face for a kiss...which he finally planted on my eyeball...closest he could get to my lips I guess. ick.

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.