Friday, October 10, 2008

I fought the Law...and we both won?


Do our law enforcement officers no longer have passion for oppression, power and a hard fought battle?

I got a ticket (undeservedly I assure you) coming out of the airport a few weeks ago, and called up the court to find out how much I owed. Usually I'm all about taking these "little problems" to court and seeing what clever tactics I can find to wriggle out of them. Although I am occasionally guilty as charged, I find some small (or not so small) part of me enjoys the challenge of beating the system.

This time however, I didn't have the energy. I called the court ready to just pay and walk.

Imagine my surprise when I asked how much the ticket was and how I could pay it and the clerk suggested I come in and fight it. They wanted me to come in and fight it? I was stunned and told her I was planning to just pay. She responded that I could probably do without the insurance points, and why not just stop by next Monday?

She made it sound so pleasant and easy that I couldn't resist. I signed up for the gig--and talk about a nice sales job.

So, fast forward to this week and a trip to court. I added my name to the list of about 5 million waiting to be seen, and about an hour later was called in to an office with 3 desks. The guy who called me in, sat me down, told me what my ticket said I had done (speeding), and showed me my record. As in--you have had tickets in 3 different states over the last 4 years.

I was actually interested to see what was on my record and thanked him. Next thing I know he jumps from my record to asking me:

Cop: So you probably don't want 2 points on your insurance, right?

I wondered if this was a trick question, and look around nervously for hidden cameras, then responded.

Shauri: Well..no. Why would I?

Cop: Well then here's your new ticket. I'm writing you up for a double parking ticket. No points. It'll cost you 50 dollars more. Go pay 150 at the cashier and you're good to go.

I just sat there with my mouth open, wondering when I had to tell him that it wasn't my fault I got a ticket.

Cop: Do you like that deal?

Shauri: Uh...yes.

Cop: OK. Go pay.

I hesitated no longer, gathered my things and quickly scadoodled to the cashier. Easiest ticket dodging I ever did.

And all I keep wondering is....How bad off IS Detroit economically?

2 comments:

Delsa said...

Shauri, who spends more time going to court than you. Hope you don't get a ticket while you're in Australia because not only does it cost a huge fortune, but there's no getting out of them. I've watched a couple of our missionaries try and it was hopeless.

Shauri said...

How quickly you forget...I DID get pulled over in Australia, and I also DID get out of it. :)

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.