Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Creative street lines


I'm in New Orleans with a client. Last night Brian, Elizabeth, Chad and I went out to dinner on Bourbon Street. As we were wandering the streets searching for a restaurant (in a direction Brian was quite sure was the right one) we passed a college aged guy who stopped us and in a frantic voice said, "Can ya'll help me? I'm in a fix cause I just found out my mom is in the hospital and I need to go see her." As everyone kind of looked at him I responded (empathetically) "I'm sorry, we don't have a car."

Apparently this whole I need to get the hospital to see my mom thing is a common line in New Orleans (also according to Brian) to get money, but I didn't know that at the time and wasn't sure how I could help without transportation to bring him to his ailing mama.

I think I stumped him a little too, cause he almost continued on, but then after a pregnant pause said, "Well you see, I actually don't need a ride, I'm gonna have to get me on a greyhound down to baton rouge..." You know the rest. Money was denied, we continued on. But the rest of the group got a good laugh at my sincere claim that we would love to help him if we only had a car.

I also offended some kids who walked by us in formal attire by saying "Is it prom tonight?" Disgusted look, disdainful voice, "WE'RE in college." hmph.

Excuuuse me. Is it my fault that all people under 25 look high school age to me now?

1 comment:

Delsa said...

At least you entertain everyone with your innocence.

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.