Saturday, January 31, 2009

Movie Goodness


Seeings how we're in the middle of a long frozen hibernation, making it the perfect time to cuddle up with a blanket and a movie I thought I'd mention one of the best ones I've seen in a long time.

While I was in Australia I spent time with and learned the history of the Aboriginal people in this country. Someone recommended to my mom that she see the movie Rabbit Proof Fence before going to the movie Australia. We did and it was about 100x better than Australia.

It's the story of 3 little girls who are part of the lost generation-- stolen from their home and their mother to be trained as housekeepers for white people and to be "bred" with white people to get rid of their black-ness. The little girls have to make a decision whether to attempt the 1500 mile journey by foot home or to accept their fate. It's inspiring, educational and touching. I'm not sure how I missed it since it came out in 2002, but if you pay a visit to your local blockbuster this weekend, pick this one up--it's a goodie.

4 comments:

emily said...

I saw this movie when it came out. I absolutely loved it too.

jweed said...

ditto. rented it on netflix a couple of months ago. very inspiring!

Shauri said...

Julie-- Why am I banned from your blog??? Should I take this personally? :) Please add me.

Misty said...

I loved that movie! Great minds think/feel alike ...

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.