Friday, December 5, 2008

Facebook - Ultimate Connector


I am simultaneously thrilled and distraught. Oh, and also shocked at the power of facebook.

This past weekend I clicked on to my favorite online social networking site and saw a message in my inbox. "Is this theee Shauri Quinn originally from Ann Arbor, MI? BYU freshman year 19**?" No date needed there. Point is, it was one of my best friends from my freshman year of college. A friend I haven't seen or talked to in over a decade. AND HE FOUND ME ON FACEBOOK.

Sure, all caps seems a bit dramatic, but that's not even the crazy part yet. I was getting ready for a work trip on Monday to Ephrata, PA. If you've heard of it...well, you're from Lancaster county or a geography freak of nature. Turns out, Chris is living in the town right next door to lovely Ephrata.

I don't know--I can't believe fate didn't take a step in to the picture on this one--I mean what are the chances I'm going to this tiny little town, and that the day before I go a long lost friend finds me who happens to live there?? I heart facebook.

Except sometimes I don't. Like when a few days later that ex-boyfriend finds you. You know the one. The one that your family likes only slightly better than Jeffrey Dahmer, and that you became that person you wish you hadn't to be with this guy. There is nothing like opening up your mail and seeing his face stare back at you with a semi-creepy message attached. And let me add this tidbit--he spelled my name wrong. If you date someone for two years and you search for them on facebook, don't you think you should at least know how to spell their name?

So I'm left with the dilemma...to respond or ignore? That is the question.

The distress of this minor dilemma however, does little to mar my joy at finding Chris and Dave Baird...two of my favorite people in the world and to see what path their lives took and to relive awesome past memories like Chris' foot fetish. "Nothing like toe cleavage." Odd? Clearly. But still endearing.

I am grateful for a trip to Ephrata at just the right time and the power of facebook to connect us.

4 comments:

Elizabeth Downie said...

Ignore the ex-boyfriend! Ignore ignore! Ok, that's my advice and others might disagree. I've felt a lot of guilt over facebook at times - especially when I get a friend request from someone who I really don't want seeing my profile. But I think you should not feel guilty about ignoring this guy. Although your description of him did sound quite charming.

Congrats on finding the good friends!

Delsa said...

That is so cool. Tell Chris hi for me when you see him. Wow!!How many years ago? I had Dan Waters find me the 2 weeks ago on facebook and I thought that was the best. Sometimes I get invites from people I don't have a clue who they are, then I notice they are from Adelaide and I probably should know them. What to do.

Kris said...

When you say the ex is creepy, that should be answer enough, don't you think? I think spelling your name wrong was clearly another major strike against him.

Delsa, it must be hard being popular. ( :

Misty said...

(K, so I'm reading your entire blog.) I have an ex-boyfriend/Facebook weird moment myself. Only the ex-boyfriend didn't request to be MY friend ... he asked to my dad's friend. What? This is the ex that was bitter over my breaking up with him and didn't come to our HS reunion because "there wasn't a single person there he wanted to see." But he'se now my dad's friend?? I love Facebook but it definitely presents some strange new situations.

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.