Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Gift that spoiled Christmas


Time for a brief break in the Australia Travel log. If you read Kristin's blog, you may have already read this story, but it's a spinster story must, so it has to be posted here as well.

Many of you are familiar with "hockeydad." Before leaving the country I put together a little gift bag for him and asked my sister to deliver it for me as I was rushing out the door. She agreed.

Several days later she cheerfully left to deliver it. As I was boarding my plane from Dunk Island, I got this email from Kristin:

Well, I delivered your present today. He wasn't there, but a blond 30ish woman answered the door. I really hope it wasn't his ex cause that would be awkward. He has a sister though, right? It was probably her. Just in case she was his ex and you're curious, it was a very short exchange.

Is Joe here?
No he's not.
Oh, okay. My sister asked me to drop this off. Can you give it to him for me?
Sure.
Thanks.

All very pleasant.

-Kristin


I happen to know that his sister does not have blonde hair and that his ex does. However I also know that he would never let her in the house with the kids while he was gone so I start to wonder...I shoot him a quick msg and ask if his ex was in the house today by any chance?

Here's his reply:

No, but it is a funny story. Your sis got the wrong house but just happened to go to a neighbor's house whose husband is also named Joe.

The poor lady thought her husband was having an affair and that your gift was from a mistress. She finally figured it out after she got herself off the floor.


At this point it all falls in to place and as the full picture develops, the conversation Kristin had with the blond woman becomes much funnier. Imagine you have a girl on your step with gifts for you husband, saying she is dropping it off for "her sister."

I tell Kristin what happened and get this final email:

So funny. And actually, the first house I went to was the wrong house. It was a black family and I was like, I think I have the wrong house... I'm looking for Joe. He pointed me over to the house I went to. Great directions sis. I feel so bad for that lady!
Kristin



Sort of the opposite of a Christmas miracle. Could be bad directions. Could be a bad direction follower. I say, all's well that ends well and as long as there are no divorces caused by this little mishap, no harm no foul. I do wonder how they figured out it was the wrong Joe, and I also wonder how many men by that name live on one small cul-de-sac!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well this either brought the wife and the "wrong" Joe together or tore them apart. I'm going to be optimistic and hope they are snuggled together in front of a fireplace.

Colleen said...

that post is so funny. i thought only things like that happened to me. who knew? anyways i love your blog. me being single and (gasp) 30 here in happy valley, i can relate to your blog alot. love it. alway good to have a sense of humor about ourselves.

DTR said...

This is why people named Joe always need to be identified by some additional detail. Kristin should have said she was looking for Joe the (Boy)Friend or Joe the Hockey Dad. Then there would have been no confusion with Joe the Husband or Joe the Philanderer.

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.