Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Rundle Mall


A couple days ago mom and I went shopping at Rundle Mall in Adelaide. At one point we were shopping in a department store (David Jones) and we got separated. I circled the whole women's department about 4 times, but couldn't find her. She claims she was standing in the center the whole time - obviously we are both having a hard time corroborating the other's story.

I planned to page her, but figured first I would try on the clothes in my arms so that I would be ready to go once I found her. As I was trying on the last shirt and about to get dressed, I suddenly heard a loud announcement over the PA system. It went something like this;

"Ms. Shauri Quinn please report to the customer service desk on the first level, your mother is looking for you."

I kind of laughed at the fact that they said my mommy was looking for me--it made me sound like a lost 5 year old, but I gathered my stuff and started to make my way out until I realized the announcement was still going.

"We are looking for Shauri Quinn from the United States of America. Please report to your mother on the first level. If you are Ms, Shauri Quinn, American shopper your mother is looking for you. Please Shauri Quinn report to your mother."

The announcement went on for about 5 minutes and they continued to be very clear about my mother wanting to find me and where I was from. At that point, I backed in to the dressing room again, closed the door and waited a few minutes to let the voice subside a bit before I made my big exit/entrance. I didn't want everyone pointing fingers and whispering--there goes that American shopper Shauri Quinn who can't find her mommy! You know, the one shopping from the United States.

I'm a bit baffled why the over emphasis on where I was from. Is Shauri Quinn a very common name in Australia that requires extra clarification? Or perhaps they were having a little fun at the expense of the idiot Americans?

Luckily we were reunited. Australians certainly know how to help out in emergency situations. As long as they know what country you're from you're golden.

6 comments:

Kris said...

I'm crying I'm laughing so hard. I love this story. Classic.

Elizabeth Downie said...

Hahahahaha! That is so funny and embarrassing! I would have died laughing.

Lolo said...

thank you for making me die laughing tonight! so glad you found your mommy!

Lisa said...

LOL! Leave it to Shauri and Delsa to make an ordinary shopping experience way more exciting than it needs to be! : )

Mindy said...

Hermana Quinn!
Como estas? Hey, sounds like you're still up to the same old travesitos that you always were in the mission! :) I always thought you would have been a fun comp - I heard lots of good stories from Thorson and Jacobsen about their times with you!
I have been blurking on your blog for a little while - it's been cool to vacation vicariously with you in Australia! You'd better be more careful, though, and stick with your mommy better, or she might have to get one of those little halters with a leash on it to keep tabs on you! :D
Too bad the whole mission reunion fell through - what's up with that?! It would be so fun to catch up with the old gang!
Cuidate mucho!
Mindy (Marchant) Barnes

Aunt Spicy said...

HILARIOUS!!! Oh gosh, I needed a good laugh, thanks!

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.