Sunday, December 7, 2008

Lucky Number 4


When I was little, my favorite Dr. Seuss book was "Wacky Wednesday." It was entertaining because everything in the book was out of place and backwards and you had to find all the wacky things on each page. It kept you surprised and interested.

Much like Michigan sports this year. In a shocking turn of events, yesterday Michigan basketball beat number 4 ranked Duke, and beat them soundly. It was a close game most of the way, but Michigan mostly owned the lead and by games end had won by around 10 points...not two. Michigan hasn't beat Duke in 11 years.

Last year Michigan beat no winning programs and hardly beat losing programs. In one year Coach Beline has turned around the program and beat two number 4 ranked teams - UCLA and Duke. I'm starting to think 4 is our lucky number. And a ranking I wouldn't mind ending up at come selection Sunday. Coach Beline--let me be the first to extend to you a warm and extended welcome to Ann Arbor. (As did the packed Crisler arena fans when they stormed the court post game.)

(Quick sidebar--he also runs a clean program which is rare. I saw Brian Townsend, a friend of ours who is his assistant coach and he told me a lot of interesting stories about how the program has changed and what kind of work ethic has been installed. Making RIGHT choices can in fact pay is the moral of this story. What does not pay is my current moisturizer. Townsend also mistook me for my mother at first glance.)

Meanwhile, Michigan football has never looked worse. NEVER. It was the most pathetic showing I've ever witnessed. And this my friends is touted as a "Football town." No one cares about the silly basketball program. Check out the facilities and you'll see for yourself.

So that's the good news. Michigan basketball is doing it's best to turn sports around here in to it's own version of Wacky Wednesday with some exciting games and high hopes for the future. Go blue!

4 comments:

Rachael said...

I watched the whole thing and couldn't have enjoyed a "W" more!

Rachael said...

Even though I don't look like my mother because I was adopted...I am having the same problem with my moisturizer! That made me laugh!

Anonymous said...

I have always loved U of M basketball so I thrilled for the winds of change. We were hoping to pick up a few tickets for Isaac for a Christmas present, but now we may be struggling to find some. To have one winning team in Ann Arbor, I'll be happy.

Delsa said...

Next time you see that Brian Townsend you give him a big hug for me. I might not be able to see him when I return because he will really see the difference then.
That's great news about the program. Sounds like Brian is enjoying it then - that' the kind of guy he is.

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.