Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Eggs and Sperm - Where's the Equality?



I had a conversation with some of Travis' friends and I really learned a lot. One friend in particular, who is 33. The discussion turned (as is usually the case with single people)to dating and marriage. This is what I learned:

1. Guys in their 30's want to date girls under 25 because then it makes them think they are under 25 too. If they date someone their own age, they feel their own age.

2. The reason it's more fun to date younger girls, is because old girls aren't fun. They just want to talk about serious things.

Number one is probably something I would chalk up to a personal problem. I mean please- face reality...you are old, you are not 25.

Number two, well, he just might be right. I mean the truth is, older girls aren't fun in the same way. I just watched an episode of, ok, yes SATC. And if you're wondering, yes, it is all I watch all the time. So with that out of the way, this episode was the one where Carrie is dating the Russian guy. He's 53 and she's 38. The whole baby thing comes up. You know- you don't have much time to have them, so you'd better get started if you plan to. That. Anyway, this guy already had a kid (when he was young enough to do so) and was "fixed." Didn't want any more.

Carrie had only been dating him for a couple weeks and her friends told her she had to ask him questions like, "Well you get unfixed if I want a baby?" and "Are you ready to really commit to me if I'm going to give up my baby dream to be with you? Cause, if not, I need to find someone quick who will and who maybe wants babies." You know the drill.

So, I mean, how fun is that? Ever since I hit 30 my girlfriends have been having those conversations way to early in the relationship and all of us are guilty at some point of kicking off a relationship with, "I will give you one year of my time and then if we have not gotten to the marriage decision I will be moving on because clearly it means you can't commit and my biological clock is ticking."

Now THAT'S FUN!! What guy doesn't want to decide if he wants to commit and have babies on a second date? It's totally lame that older women do that, but can you really blame them? Ok, maybe you can, but you really shouldn't. They're on the clock. Luckily when you hit your mid thirties the clock starts to get pretty faint. I think once you can give up the dream and squash the clock you can get back to being "fun and carefree" again. What a perk to aging.

Look, here's what I wish. I wish men had a biological clock. I wish they could only produce sperm until they were 40 or 45 so that we were on equal ground. Then young girls would say things to them like, "Oh, I can't date you cause I want to have a bunch of kids and you just won't be able to make that happen for me." Plus if they really want kids (and I kind of doubt this at their age and marital status), well they'll be hearing that clock loud and clear too and men and women could appear equally desperate and enjoy the same conversation. Well, a girl can dream.

4 comments:

Kris said...

...and what a dream it is at that! I'll start making the T-shirts.

EFN Newsletter said...

That's a brilliant idea. Who do we need to talk to to make this happen?

Rachael said...

Oh my goodness.......another AMEN!

Carolyn Hansen said...

Wow, deinitely one of the oversights when men and women were created. How do you come up with these things?

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.