Tuesday, March 4, 2008

i Want my Samantha- Part II


I'm sure you are all waiting with baited breath to hear the next chapter in the "I Want my Samantha" saga. Well, at least I know Lisa is - she said so in her comment.

First, I'd just like to send a shout out to all the people who pitched in to help me resolve my sad, girlfriend-less state to either volunteer their own services (Kari, Sarah and Aly- yes, yes, and yes let's go!) or to volunteer the services of their friends. Mary Hales--special shout out to you for not only volunteering your friend, but for picking one that would be so game to respond right away. Holla girl. Good lookin' out.

Brian Donovan--I greatly appreciate your ding dong ditch cookies idea it was clearly a stroke of genius that I will pass on to some other desperate person in the future...probably of the male persuasion. It is somehow more entertaining to think of a 35ish year old man running away from a door leaving cookies than a 35ish year old woman leaving it for a woman she wants to be-friend. Well, scratch that. Both are ridiculous and hilarious. I'll give it a whirl for you.

On to the story. I have found success. I am thrilled to say that so far no one has told me I am sad or pathetic and I have two particular success stories to report.

First, a response from linkup. The very day I sent that out and had "submit button" regret, a girl I wrote to responded. I opened her email with great fear of rejection and ready to read a request to "please stop stalking people online" only to read her first sentence of, "ok, first of all your email made me laugh! But only because I can totally sympathize with your plight. 19 yr old girls and younger guys can be sweet but, let be honest, we need friends who are going through similar stages of life."

I literally exhaled, felt relief wash over me that she didn't think I was crazy AND had a huge smile on my face. I had no idea until I read it how scared I was that I had sent that email. We're meeting for lunch soon. I will not be carrying a rose or a copy of Eat, Pray, Love.

Second, Mary Hales set me up with her friend Katy, who in turn invited me to lunch with two of her friends this afternoon. I went and was pleasantly surprised to find some really cool girls that were entertaining, easy to talk to and in my stage of life. It was a great lunch and I look forward to seeing them again soon!


So here's the deal folks--vulnerability and a little reaching out to the universe (and all of your known and unknown online friends) can turn out very positive results. Allow me to wax philosophical, and a bit serious here for a moment. What I walk away from this experience understanding (yet again) is that when we take a proactive stance about a negative situation or state of mind (like feeling lonely) and reach out we tend to find "abundance" and a more positive situation. When we put fear aside (It's scary to tell the world you're lonely or sad or in some way vulnerable) and share a common human experience, people relate to you and you tend to find community and solution.

I am overwhelmed at how quickly I saw this happen to me. It's completely changed my (as Dr. Boob would say) "being state." So, here's to all of you in blog world--thanks for the lift!

10 comments:

Kris said...

So glad to hear that you've found success. May your lunch calender continue to be full & your new online community of friends be plentiful. ( : Thanks for the update.

Delsa said...

Whew!! I am so glad there was not rejection. On the other hand rejection in the past often led you to come home for a visit - would have rejection have gotten you to Australia?

Robin said...

Ha. If it takes rejection to get you to Australia Shauri,then something is really wrong... I would go in a heart beat. Delsa, extend the invitation to me:) Shauri, I also remembered that you know my friend Michele. She went to Vegas with us a few years back when we stayed in the high class resort, Circus Circus. Michele lives in SLC now... so there is yet another possible solution for you:) Michele.Ebright@hsc.utah.edu

KA said...

I guess I don't really qualify for the Samantha role, but I certainly would like to lunch again soon.

Shauri said...

No KA--you're more Carrie or Charlotte, and let's do it!

KA said...

Ok, I guess it's time for me to admit that I've never once in my life watched that show. So, I mean, what exactly does it mean that I am more Carrie or Charlotte? Please enlighten.

Lisa said...

The only way this story could have been better is if you did bring a copy of Eat, Pray, Love and a rose to lunch. You're very lovable Shauri, of course you weren't going to get rejected!

Carolyn Hansen said...

You know that you are one inspiring woman right? I think that you and Boob should write a book together or better yet, you could write one on your own. Thanks for Part II.

#1 GAL, Dr. Ty! said...

Hey Shauri, I guess we're all feeling the pain of getting older and being busier! I'm on a mission too this year. I refused to accept this. Hopefully by the end of the year I'll be writing you about MY new local gal pals.

Good luck on your search...

And, thanks for the blog comment! What a coincidence that we were on the same wavelength -- it must have been in the air.

Tiffany said...

Wow, I REALLY related to these two blog posts. After moving back to VA from Texas after grad school, I've felt a little lost and lonely. At first it seemed weird to be feeling like that, but you're totally right. We all need a solid group of women friends to hang out with, lean on and get advice from. And while I love my married friends and enjoy their company, it's just not the same. Too bad we're not in the same area anymore! If you hear of any cool chicks in my area who need friends, send them my way!

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.