Saturday, March 1, 2008

Happy Birthday Boob


Boob is my dad. Bob Quinn. Master of the Deep Change Movement. And yes, it is a movement.

Many years ago when Travis was just a lad, he started to call my dad Boob, and it seemed to stick. I still remember bringing some friends home from DC one long weekend and my friend Geoff Howard being giddy as a school girl at calling my dad Boob. I think it lived up to all his expectations. Along those lines I will share one of my favorite Boob Quinn stories and then give the now traditional top ten list.

One weekend (I often brought home van loads of people to visit from DC), I believe it was Thanksgiving, one of the guys in our group was Paul Dozier. For those of you that know him, he's a bit of a clown and not easily silenced. He had spent the weekend with my family and was pretty comfortable (I know this because he single-handedly finished leftovers for 40 by himself in one day) by the last day of our trip.

He was alone in the kitchen drinking a glass of water by the sink, when dad came in and saw him. I don't think dad was paying close attention (at least I hope not) when he glanced over to the sink and said, "Hey cute boy." Now it may sound odd enough that he would say that to my brothers, but you have to understand it was a long standing habit that I assume began to provoke a reaction from them. Teasing is our family's second language.

Paul registered what was said to him and unlike most who might have been stunned or embarassed or uncomfortable, turned to my dad and said, "Hi pretty boy." From then on he referenced him as "Pretty Boy Bob." Which as you can see from the picture above is certainly apropos.

So with no further ado, the 10 top reasons to love Boob.

10. He invented the "Duck Trap" game which is a much beloved brand of torture sure to carry on through generations of Quinns.

9. He painted a purple "P" on his bald head at Garrett's championship game. (Which was how people found us in the crowd.)

8. His wide ranging cooking abilities: crackers and cheese, grilled cheese, and peanut butter and cheese sandwiches. (See a theme?)

7. He opened the world of "para-dig-ems" (travis), and core stories, and walking naked in the land of uncertainty along with many other useful conversation starters for parties.

6. His excellent fashion choices. Like the mustard yellow sweats he pulled out of the garbage. (This also showcases his ability to save money.)

5. His singing ability. No one knows more first lines to songs and less notes to use in the process of singing them. With enthusiasm.

4. His ability to create cohesion in groups. Once when he was bishop of our congregation he unified them all in the purpose of burying him up to his neck in sand because they were so fed up with his teasing.

3. His storytelling gift. The Giant Jellybean legacy lives on to still terrify small children everywhere (mason and katie) and teach them that being fat is bad.

2. His body confidence. Never forget the basketball game where he willingly ripped his sweatshirt (w/ no t-shirt underneath) off leaving only his khaki pants and street ball shoes to be on the skins team.

1. Clearly, his ability to tune out any and all distractions--like kids swinging from chandeliers.

All of these are great reasons to love Boob--but in all seriousness I am grateful to have had the best example, teacher, and father that a girl could ask for. I hope you have a very happy birthday and that all those missionaries appreciate the father we've given them for them for 3 year. As hard as it has been to have you be so far away, even in your absence I am blessed and taught by your example of service. Happy Birthday Dad!

6 comments:

Kris said...

Boob is a vision of loveliness...I adore that photo! When do I get my 8x10? Happy Birthday to my favorite Boob.

(p.s. after seeing the photo - I jumped straight to the comment section to express my overwhelming joy. Shauri - tell Jim that THIS photo covers sexy...am I right Delsa?).

EFN Newsletter said...

I do love Bobby. Happy Birthday Dad, may you have a delicious Boston Cream Pie and a good game of Scrabble tonight.

Delsa said...

These last two days have been crazy and so Dad has not had a chance to call you back. Why are you the only member of the family who can't call us?
Kris- Sexy - well------funny, yes.
Kristin - your Dad got his Boston cream pie, one from me and one from a district where the district leader was in the office on his last birthday and remembered his penchant for that dessert - No scrabble though. Too busy. However, one of the most amazing baptisms I have ever attended. But you'll have to read the journal next week to hear about it.

Lisa said...

I'm sure your dad just loves that you used this photo. Remind me never to trust you with any of my pictures! : )

xóchitl said...

it kills me that you guys call your dad boob. show him a little respect and at the very least call him Dr. Boob Quinn, PhD. honestly...

Robin said...

I would have loved to have watched the whole scenario with Paul D. and Boob. I still remember when he came out in a yellow prom dress too.... I am sure you could make a calendar of all of the "sexy" (as Kris would say) pictures of Boob!

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.