Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Woooommmaaaannn Down!


I would love to write about the actual game experience last night, but I have been informed by reputable (and sensitive) sources (Janine, Wallace and Travis)that the highlight of the game was not even part of the game, but right after it finished.

Post game, I was walking around with my camera and backpack talking to some of the people on the court when all of a sudden I heard my name yelled. I turned to see my friends Wallace, Erika, and Janine sitting about 6 rows up on the other side of the floor. I broke into a grin and started to amble towards them. I got so close I could almost feel their loving arms embracing me, when I was stopped by a row of floor seats that were bolted to the ground. I looked right, I looked left and there was no close way to walk around them. I saw Wallace as if in slow motion, waving her arm and saying, "cliiimmmmbbb oveerrrr." I shrugged and pushed the seat down, thinking it would stay. One foot was up before I realized my error. Just as I was taking my second foot off the ground, I realized I was about to be catapulted upwards as the seat began to snap back in to place. The rest was in super slow-mo. I knew I was going down, but I had time to think through the whole process as it was happening. At first I thought I might just land awkwardly in the chair, than I thought I could protect with my hands and just land on my butt. Then I realized my camera was in my hands and it was more important to protect 3K of equipment than myself. I stopped moving to catch myself and instead tried to place my camera on the next seat as I was going down instead of watching it hit the floor. I did manage to save it but just as I fell flat on my back on top of the backpack strapped to said back. I looked like a turtle on it's shell with legs wriggling in the air. It was probably the most awkward fall known to human kind.

Moments later I see my brother's laughing face hovering above me. I search it for concern, but all I see is laughter...and embarrassment. He pulls me to my feet and burrows me in to his chest, not to hug me, but as he says, "To hide me." as in, "Let me hide you." Wallace and Janine come screaming down the steps with laughter. EVERYONE saw it, and the people behind them said, "She should have caught THAT on film." The outpouring of love and concern is overwhelming.

The worst part for me however, is the fact that there was a man there from the league (NBA) who I was supposed to meet with the next day (today) to talk about my film and the distribution possibilities. He saw the whole thing. I don't even know HOW I will be able to look him in the face and have a serious conversation as he thinks, "This person? This is the person we would trust to have a camera and capture interesting footage??" I'm so humiliated.

It does remind however of one of my favorite falls - at Steve and Barry's in Michigan. Kris, I think you know where I'm going. When you missed the steps and went down like a brick behind a shelf of shirts. And as we were laughing on the ground, the man who peeked around the shelf to see you and thought we were mad as loons and wouldn't crack a smile. Falling can be fun, I get it. But this one wasn't. Yet.

Next post....the actual game, a secondary story.

8 comments:

EFN Newsletter said...

I don't remember that at all, but I fully believe it happened (especially the laughing hysterically part). Goes to show how many spills I've taken when I can't even keep them straight.

Aly said...

Very funny. We watched part of the game last night on TV. How long are Wallace and Janine here?

Lisa said...

I'm sorry but I'm laughing so hard I'm crying. That's one I wish I wouldn't have missed!

Kris said...

OHHHHHHHHHHHH I remember that fall VERY well. We had a great laugh at my expense, and unfortunately Robin C. missed the entire display because she was off shopping. ( :

Sounds like your spill beat mine by a long shot though - you had a much bigger audience. ( :

Arah Debra said...

I don't know why it's so funny to watch people fall, but it is. And picturing that in my head was hilarious. I seriously can't stop laughing. I'm going to make sure Steve reads this one. He'll love it!

Shauri said...

Steve just missed it. I had just finished talking to him when I went over to my doom.

Kristin--you are soooo delsa. This time it's not your memory or your many falls, it really just didn't happen to you. :) Kris Wooley.

Aly- they are here for this week I think.

Delsa said...

I think you better keep it clear on which Kristin you are writing about, though it doesn't make the story less funny. I think I will have to go over to the office to read this, they could use a belly jiggler over there.
I am not sure I like all of these not so subtle comments about my many flaws. I'm a changed person!!!

xóchitl said...

i think it's sweet travis tried to hide you.
and maybe NBA big shot dude will be more impressed with you saving your camera than your own cheeks. i am.

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.