Monday, June 2, 2008

God Bless Kevin McHale



Hallelujah and Praise be...the Celtics are back in the game and will soon be back on top. And we owe it all to Kevin McHale.

It's been a long drought, but we are returning to the promised land, and it is with complete confidence that I can promise a championship banner will hang from our rafters this year. I can promise this because we already have an Eastern Conference one to throw up. It is with almost as much confidence that I promise the big one.

I've watched Celtics games with my family for as long as I can remember. I used to make green cupcakes for the games in the 80's - one for each team member with their number on the cupcake. I have a Larry Bird scrapbook full of articles from the 80's and an autographed picture of him on my wall. It's been true love for a long time.

It was called to my attention today as I was texting someone about the Celtics, that in answer to a question about if they would win, I replied things like, "we have Pierce" and "We're on a roll now." As if I were in fact part of the team. Aren't I? Perhaps what was more interesting however, was when he asked if there was a chance the Celtics could lose and I wrote, "Of course there is a chance they could lose." He asked me why the we suddenly became they. It's a good point. And the answer is clear. I cannot accept that my team would fail. And they won't if Doc Rivers follows my advice. It's pretty simple: bench Sam Cassell, and let the starters get real minutes. Not rocket science, but also not a plan he's really stuck to so far.

I would also like to say thank you to Cleveland - scratch that, to Lebron, and Detroit for making it interesting, and thank you to my main men, Pierce, Garnett, Allen, Rajon, and most especially Perkins for coming together at just the right time with all cylinders firing to ensure we put Kobe where he belongs - the loss column. Well, actually if truth be told he belongs in jail, but since all cannot be right in the world I will make my peace with the loss column. It will bring joy to my heart to finally be able to shut down all the cocky comments flowing from his mouth in post-game interviews like, "I can turn it on and score at will." "I am the team." etc.. True or not, it's cocky and I can't wait until he meets the best Defense in the league and "The Truth."

It is with great joy that I begin chanting a phrase I haven't said for 20+ years, "Beat La, beat LA, beat LA." May Red Auerbach's spirit settle comfortably in the rafters of the Garden for the next 7 games to enjoy one more battle and eventual title against an age-old rival.

And yes, I want 7 games please. I'd like it to awaken the rivalry, and to win on our home court.

Let's Go Celtics!

2 comments:

Delsa said...

I love you Shauri- I don't know anyone who is a better, more loyal fan than you. I'm also sure the cupcakes you make this year will taste much better than the ones in the past.

jamie said...

I wish it were the pistons going, but I'll cheer the celtics so that the championship stays in the East. :) So here it goes, "GO CELTICS!" It was a fun game that night. I thought of you and the quinn clan while we were in detroit. Glad duck was so fun, sorry the travel there and back was equal to an around the world trek.

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.