Sunday, June 15, 2008

Kung-Fu Mouth


Yesterday I took my niece and two nephews (one sort of nephew) to see the most awesomest kid movie ever: Kung Fu Panda. I think that's what it's called. It actually was much better than I anticipated, but I'm not writing a review here.

We got treats and got settled in our seats a few minutes after the movie started. I was trying to arrange all the kids and get them their popcorn and treats and what not and of course they were already mesmerized by the screen which = legally deaf.

I called them in exaggerated whispers to try and hand them stuff, and at one point was trying desperately to get Gavin's attention. "Gavin...GAVIN...here's your treat." I think I called him again a few seconds later with a drink or something. We had all just gotten settled and were quietly watching the movie when a girl (about 6?) sitting one row behind us and a bit to the left suddenly shouted out...

"GAVIN...BE QUIET!"

Both Gavin and I turned around shocked. Me, that she knew his name and dared to use it while calling him out to the whole theater, him because he wasn't saying anything at the time she told him to be quiet.

I was surprised, but turned around thinking that would be the end of the abuse. Nope.

"Gavin...if you don't be quiet I am putting you in time out!"

"Gavin...why don't you just shut up and move to the other side of the theater??"

It was an unbelievable and non stop chastisement to the world for about 5 minutes until her dad got back.

Poor Gavin was stunned and I was fluctuating between embarrassment, shock and laughter. I mean we weren't even saying anything, but somehow I knew it was my fault that she even knew his name. It might be the funniest thing I have ever experienced in a movie theater. And I assure you, I will be very careful in the future to arrive early, make sure the kids are settled and that I am not disruptive (and that I use no names) so that I can avoid this incident again.

2 comments:

Kris said...

That was a great movie. ( : Glad Gavin survived the abusive girl behind him.

Delsa said...

I wonder if Gavin will ever want to go with you again. I'm not sure I would.

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.