Sunday, June 29, 2008

Celebrate!


I was at a barbecue on Saturday night, talking to some friends when the subject of birthdays came up. One of the guys there told us he was about to have a huge birthday in August (aka the big 4-0) and he wanted to make sure he had a big celebration of some sort. He said it was too big to just let it pass without some kind of momentous "marking" of the day.

I replied that it was interesting that he would want to do that because I thought most women would respond in quite the opposite way. A birthday like that calls for a "flight" reaction. As soon as I said that everyone started chiming in about this girlfriend or that girlfriend who had turned 40 and how they reacted. Most went out of the country alone or disappeared to some remote location and pretended it wasn't happening.

I thought about it, and about the fact that I went for "flight" this year by hiding in a spa all day. After listening to this conversation and thinking about my awesome life, I made a decision. When I turn 40 (which granted is still a few years off) I will NOT hide, I will not RUN. I may go out of the country, or I may stay local, but I'm going with the guy response...I'm letting everyone know and I'm blowing it out and making it one to remember. We've only got a short time to live - why waste time wishing you are something you're not or even trying to be something you're not? I'm embracing every moment I have from this day forward and doing the things I want - you gotta love who you are, even if who you are involves a wrinkle or two. Celebrate your life and make it count people! (No, I'm not on drugs.)

Caveat: Just remember... I don't expect anyone to throw this back in my face when I turn 40 and I'm hiding.

6 comments:

Aly said...

hooray! and i love the picture too.

EFN Newsletter said...

I'm not even kidding, just this week I was thinking about really fun things to do for your 40th birthday and how I was going to convince you not to go hide. Perfect timing. Call me and I will tell you about my idea.

Katy said...

you are my hero!

Delsa said...

Yah!! I want to be invited. Maybe I will help plan it. Could we do it early?

Lisa said...

Oh Shauri, it has been too long. I just caught up on your blog and got to read about Bachelorette, your ticket victory, Home Bistro, SYTYCD, and turning 40. Feels like I just read a good book! : )

Anonymous said...

I will let you in on what I did when I turned 40. I want you to beat it.
I was in Washington DC for a conference with lots of friends/co-workers. We were looking for a place to go dance. The only place anyone could point us to within walking distance was Coyote Ugly. Yep. I celebrated at Coyote Ugly and have a picture with the dude who was portraying Captin Morgan and his wenches. My advice. Make sure you have a good concierge.

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.