Tuesday, December 18, 2007

I am unexpectedly elite




I fly a lot. This means I have "status." In fact, I am "elite." That's airline-speak for if there's room in first class you get to sit there... and still not see a movie or get any food.

Before I had "status" I always imagined first class a lot like it was on Seinfeld. Anyone see the episode where Jerry got upgraded and Elaine didn't? He got to sit next to a gorgeous supermodel. They kept getting ice cream sundaes and fresh baked cookies and massages, and the flight attendants were even (gasp) friendly. That was my dream.

I'm here to tell you, it ain't like that anymore. Don't get me wrong - it's better than steerage, but not much. Regardless, and even if it wasn't one iota better, I would still want to sit up there simply because most people don't get to which makes it special. It's like the whole big convention thing where people want all the free stuff being handed out, and take big handfuls of anything free, even if it was just a chunk of poo. Or a brochure. People love free stuff. And people like upgrades.

So what's my point? I don't really have one, but if I had to make one up, it would be that the unexpected upgrade is even better than the expected one so listen up. Today on my flight back I didn't get upgraded before my flight. I checked in and asked if there was any chance I could still get upgraded at the door. The answer was still no. There were 2 seats available and I was 4th on the list. I resigned myself to the back with the people of no status and made myself comfortable. Got all my bags put away and my reading material out. I was resigned to coach.

And here's where it gets good people. The plane door is about to close when a flight attendant walks back to my seat and says, "Ms. Quinn?" Of course my first thought was, "Oh no, they're kicking me out of the exit row." But NO, the heavens were smiling on me today. "Ms. Quinn, there's a seat in first waiting for you."

I smiled and nodded calmly as if I had been graciously waiting for them to realize this and as if it were expected, and then I calmly gathered my things together, nodded to the poor saps who had no status and were obviously not elite and walked up front (without tripping even once) where I belonged. First class. Where you DO get nuts with your drink.

6 comments:

Kris said...

What a wonderful story...and such an unexpected ending - I didn't even see that coming. I was on the edge of my seat, in coach, the entire time. ( : Nothing says first class more than nuts with a sparkly beverage (most likely not served in the can). Ohhhhh, the life of the elite.

McKenna Gordon said...

LOL. It's true, the unexpected upgrade is way better than the expected. You're hilarious.

KA said...

I am expectedly not elite.

Delsa said...

I understand completely. It has been a tough time here for your Dad to no longer be considered elite. We even have to fight for exit row and only get them if we go a day before the flight to have them check us out to see if we can handle the assignment. We have now made it to silver, but there is no upgrading in Australia, unless you have paid for it, or use your frequent flyer miles to get it.
Enjoy the perks while you can. However, on Qantas, I understand you actually can use your frequent flyer miles, unlike with Northwest.

xóchitl said...

yah, i agree. being called UP to first from coach better validates to all those coachies that you were only among them and not one of them. that's why we have CLASSES people!
you need to convince brian hulse that i need such an experience. he still flies us on ghetto jet, i mean Southwest, where you have to endure the whole embarrassing boarding pass expereince of pushing, shoving, and tripping your way through a hot, musty, smelly cabin and snag a seat before someone else. i'm not bitter though.

Aly said...

I remember flying with Dave and Don on business and feeling sorry for myself as they both got bumped up to first class. I always waited for my usually chivalrous brother to offer a seat trade, but no such luck. But since I've never experienced that it surely can't compare with the disappointment of being demoted like Bob, poor fella. Most shocking is to hear that there is airline where you actually can use your frequent flyer miles. I eventually gave up and traded mine for magazine subscriptions.

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.