Tuesday, December 4, 2007

I suck at bowling. And driving.

But at least I'm willing to admit it, which I think is really commendable.

Yesterday was Garrett's birthday, and I am sad to say that I had completely forgotten (which everyone knows isn't like me) until he came over the night before and reminded me. Which I'm really glad he did.

So last night we got a group of party-people together and took him out to dinner, followed by cake and a sweet night of bowling. A Provo-show stopper you might say. I mean, we took every single thing you CAN do in Provo and put them in to one night of joy for our birthday boy.

I've always suspected I sucked at bowling, but it wasn't until after the first game when people were complaining about their scores of 150 and 170 that I glanced up to see my blazing 61 and thought, "wow. you're bad. and not in the good way." So hey, that's a lesson learned. We can't all be good at everything, and frankly I'm pretty busy right now being good at blogging and wearing twinner dresses better than other girls. I doubt if US magazine has ever had such a run-away winner. Hello- I'm beating the other girls by over 90%!! So, thanks for your support people. Honestly, I'm sure you were all voting authentically and not just trying to make me feel good. Right?

So back to Garrett. If you're reading this Garrett, and I'm sure you are after yesterday's comment of, "This bad internet connection is really killing my blogging" or something like that, I want you to know that I hope you had your best birthday yet. I was thinking about your complaint yesterday that it is very rude how all those people make jokes to you about never leaving the house, and I agree. So I've come up with a very special birthday present for you. It's the top five (ten is really, really hard) comebacks to their silly, stupid comment "You never leave the house.":

5. That's because I'm trying to break a world record here which requires great determination and willpower. Something you obviously know nothing about.

4. So?
(I like this one. It's simple, elegant, and hard to come back to.)

3. I know. Because when I do leave, I meet up with more stupid people - like you.

2. I accomplish more in one hour of not leaving this house than you do in six days of not leaving it. I mean, if you didn't...you know, leave it either. (The aim of this one is to just completely confuse them and leave them speechless. Turn and walk away.)

1. Pull a Chris McKay on them and say, "If you say that to me one more time I will knife you in your neck."
(Chris is a friend who got in the car for dinner last night and told us that he was going to "knife his ex-girlfriend in the neck if she showed up tonight.")

So, that's it. I hope this is the best birthday gift money couldn't buy. To my favorite youngest brother who never leaves the house, but does it on his own terms.

11 comments:

Aly said...

I'm sad I missed the Garret Bday extravaganza, not only so that you could have someone to challenge you for last place in bowling (I've been trying to break 100 for years) but because there are few people I love more than Garret Quinn. What can I say? I never leave the house either.

Arah Debra said...

Happy birthday Garrett! We love you! Sorry we missed your party(even though we weren't invited). Love those comebacks Shauri. Especially #1 that'll shut them up.

Lisa said...

#2 is the winner for me. Sounds like a good time. I'm sorry I wasn't there to beat you at bowling.

Kris said...

I would probably just go with option 6 and say (looking them up and down) "Well, I can't believe you EVER leave the house looking the way YOU do." That's a sure way to shut people up...and there are no knifes involved, just the weapon of words.

Ohhhh Garrett...don't ever succumb to the pressure of leaving the house without a good reason to do so - it's just not worth it. I am completely confident, however, that watching Shauri suck at bowling WAS worthwhile. 60's Shauri? Maybe next time you should request bumpers... ( :

Happy Birthday Garrett!

Kris said...

By the way Shauri, are you just admitting to the driving thing - or is there another story behind that too?

Garrett said...

You seem to have forgotten something in your entry. Remember,the title was "I suck at bowling. And driving." I think you know what I'm getting at. As for your suggestions, I like #4 the best, as it is my general stance when confronted with my hermitic (is that a word?)lifestyle. As for you Debbie, I didn't make the invites, or else you and Steve would have been at the top of the list. I may be going up to Sandy for awhile tomorrow, so if I do I'll come by and see you guys. Aly, I'll get back to you tomorrow. I had a basketball game tonight and when i remembered I needed to call you I wasn't sure if it was to late.

kwallace said...

you didn't post today shauri thus forcing me to write my second blog of 2007. blogspot isn't a safe place for children or those sensitive to off color jokes anymore!

Sadlers said...

Shauri,

I love bowling, but I too suck at it. I could go everyday. It is so much fun. But I don't think I have ever bowled over 100. So whenever you come back to michigan we should go.

Delsa said...

I can't believe you are owning up to the "Quinn's can't drive" stigma. I at least feel it's a stigma, since I am one of the Quinn's blamed for the bad driving reputation.
Hey!!! Sounds like a fun birthday to me. I'm very curious about who those fun people could be in Provo--Oh I know, I'll bet it is the silent Thanksgiving guests.
Sorry to be so behind on my insightful comments. A trip to NT really slowed me down- hard to find internet service in "the bush".

Delsa said...

I forgot to add that I too got to go bowling twice this week - once in Alice and once in Darwin. I'm happy to say that I beat you by 2 points.

Kris said...

Delsa - that is definitely something to brag about (but only to Shauri...)

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.