Sunday, December 9, 2007

It's beginning to look...


...a LOT like Christmas.
We got dumped on here in Provo yesterday which should make skiers across the world happy. It is truly a winter wonderland, and I have to say that while I am NOT a fan of winter, cold or wearing 10 layers of clothes, there is something magical about that first big dump. Especially at Christmas time. Garrett and Travis are singing carols (well the one or two lines of them they know- bob-style.) and all is merry and bright.

The downside of the snowfall was getting to the Flash game last night. Roads were treacherous and I think it kept away a good portion of the crowd. There still appeared to be about 1500 -2000 in attendance, but not the big weekend crowd they were hoping for.

The other big problem the snow caused was a leak in the roof. On to the court. We thought everything would be canceled, but apparently that was never an option. We watched as building employees stood by the dripping bucket watching drips and hoping for a Christmas miracle. Honestly, I never saw anyone actually do anything to solve the problem, so I think it must have eventually been a miracle that saved the day and kept Brandt's head from exploding. The funniest thing to me was watching men in vests stand by the bucket with heads up-turned to watch the drips and their wrists up. Why were their wrists up? Why, to time the drips of course. They kept me posted as we moved from 5 seconds to 20 seconds between drips. It seemed like a very helpful and relevant task.

Danny Ainge was in attendance, and I have to say meeting him was a disappointment. I think I built it up too big in my head. I mean, in High School I did make cupcakes every year at playoff time that I decorated in white and green frosting with the numbers of all the players on the Celtics team, so I kind of thought meeting him was this small dream come true. When I introduced myself, I must have interrupted something because he seemed slightly put out that I was talking to him and laughed a somewhat scoffing laugh when I told him I was hoping to do a more formal sit-down interview with him later in the year. Maybe this was in my head, but I will tell you--I wish that when he bit Tree Rollins back in the 80's that Tree had taken care of the little squirt then and there. At least I have interview footage of him from the night before that I can edit to make him say anything I want.

So sometimes dreams come true, sometimes they don't, and sometimes they're just not what you always imagined. Luckily my dream of living in Provo with Travis and Garrett did come true and is all that I ever dreamed. Who needs Danny Ainge anyway?

8 comments:

EFN Newsletter said...

Jerk. That wasn't nice at all.

Delsa said...

How dare he!! Doesn't he know you deserve much more. Who else would make a fool of themselves falling at a basketball game. Who else would willingly have the silent group to Thanksgiving dinner. Who else would play Monopoloy to keep a player happy and entertained. Who I ask you???

Kris said...

Well the answer to that question certainly has to be Shauri...but if you were here Delsa, I wouldn't put it past you either. ( :

Shauri said...

OK- I had to think about that for about 2 seconds Kris but then there was outright and out loud laughter. Touche!

Delsa said...

Your a bit slow Shauri - it didn't even take me 2 seconds, but whenever I know Kris is about to write or say something I start to laugh. In fact, I wish I could see Kris everyday. I've no doubt it would brighten my life considerably.

DTR said...

OK, I have no interest in defending the little squirt, but in the interest of historical accuracy I feel compelled to point out that it was actually Tree Rollins who bit Danny Ainge, not the other way around. See this excerpt from the Boston Globe. This episode presents a fascinating example of Orwellian revisionism, where if enough people believe that Ainge bit Rollins, it matters less and less that Rollins actually bit Ainge. I guess from what people knew of Ainge's personality, it seemed particularly believable that he would sink his teeth into an opponent if given the chance.

Marginally related note: When I was teenager, dozens of people (including quite a few complete strangers) told me that I bore a striking resemblance to Celtics forward Kevin McHale. I don't know whether it was simply the combination of pasty white skin and dark hair (with an unfortunate haircut), or if there was some deeper resemblance. I wasn't sure I should take it as a compliment, but I always felt a kinship with McHale, and I'll wager he would have had a little more respect and been more approachable than Ainge. The guy's a class act.

Shauri said...

DTR- thank you for the clarification. It is duly noted and appreciated. It actually does ring a bell since they were saying Danny was so small and he was shocked that the way Tree dealt with him was biting.
I'm sure I've been unfair about our friend Mr. Ainge and reserve the right to change my opinion with time.
As for McHale- YES. I see it, and I think you should know that contrary to popular belief I felt that every member of the fab 5 was fabulously good-looking. Including Larry Bird. It's all about the skillz.

Kris said...

OHHHH Delsa - when can I move in? You always get my jokes without the 2 second delay...Shauri, you could really learn something from your mother. ( :

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.