Sunday, February 17, 2008

The Big Easy


And now, New Orleans. Are you keeping up? I'm not, I've missed exactly two flights in the last month just trying to remember where I'm going and when.

The purpose of this trip is to do some filming for the All-Star weekend. Both the D-League AND the NBA have all-star games and events so while I am working...HOW LUCKY AM I to get a media pass to the greatest basketball event with the best basketball talent on earth??
Life is good.

I came straight from Vegas to New Orleans and found out right before heading out that we had to be at the arena by 5pm on Friday to claim our media passes. My flight was scheduled to arrive at 4, so it was going to be a mad dash to the arena, with my luggage to try and get them. Luckily, I got the angriest, and perhaps most dangerous taxi driver in this city. Maybe in the world. But I was glad. Because as soon as we left the airport we got stuck in traffic. I was counting down the minutes for my taxi driver letting him know that he was about to ruin my whole New Orleans experience if we didn't get there. Then I stopped cold. Mainly because he started to terrify me. He was driving on the shoulder of the road, through exit ramps, whatever it took to pass cars. And honking and screaming at all of them the whole way. This man had serious anger management issues. Once we got in to town with 10 minutes to go he was running lights, passing people in oncoming traffic lanes, you name it. The good news, we got to the building with 3 minutes to go and I DID get my media passes. The bad news, well, none really, although I am scared for him, and his life.

Friday night we filmed the D-League Dunk Contest, 3 point contest, and horse. It was only borderline interesting until the dunk contest-- more below on that. I forgot that Wallace needs constant supervision, and this night was no exception. Sticky Fingers found herself an NBA x's and o's game board on the ground near the chairs and swiftly swept it up an in to the backpack. When I told her that might be considered stealing she replied, "Not when it's for your family. My sister needs this." I guess it's kind of like Les Miserables and the loaf of bread. A real NEED.

Some of the highlights from the weekend were:

- Interviewing Lenny Wilkens at halftime.
- Walking around on the same court with and filming Kobe, AI, LebronJames, Yao Ming, Steve Nash, and other people I never thought I would be standing in touching distance of.
- Interviewing Rod Benson, my favorite D-League blogger. You can read here about his shameless (and brilliant) bid for the all-star game:http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/nba_experts?author=Rod+Benson
- Getting Beneigts and hot chocolate at Cafe Du Monde.

Back to the slam dunk highlights --- for both the D-league and the NBA. It was definitely showtime--and show-out time. My favorite performer for the D-league event was our very own Michigan man Brent Petway aka Air Georgia who had good dunks, but even better after-party performances. Check out Brent's performance AFTER the dunk.



For those of you who didn't watch the NBA dunk contest, it became a lot more about entertainment this year. I think you can only do so many dunks and keep it interesting, and these fellas seem to agree. The two best dunks for sheer entertainment value were the Superman, and the Birthday Cake. I mean...hilarious.

Superman:
This my friends, is showmanship.



Birthday Cake:
I mean he planned to bring a cake, light a candle, and blow it out while dunking. Wow. My favorite comment is Barkley saying pre-dunk, "This is like Roger Clemens going before Congress...this is a bad idea." One of my favorite parts that they don't show before he dunks is the mascot on his knees begging him NOT to try this dunk.

9 comments:

Kris said...

That Wallace...she's a real giver. ( : Sounds like the cab ride was a real nail biter - but you've got to give the man credit, his anger management issues got you there with time to spare. Very impressive. Glad you had such a great time.

EFN Newsletter said...

My favorite part of that video was hearing your Bob Quinn laugh when he started showing out.

Delsa said...

Shauri, you live such a charmed life. How you end up in all these cool places I will never know. And how did Wallace end up with you, has she become your photographer or associate?
by the way, did you get the material on your external hard drive saved?

Shauri said...

Well I imagine it would have been even better for you Kristin if you could have seen the Delsa Knee-slap that went with my Bob Quinn guffaw. It's a brilliant combo.

kwallace said...

you just HAD to tell the world about the clip board, didn't you? it was discarded plastic board after the celebrity game, people. it was going in the trash. and yes, my sister needs such a board to coach her bball team. i'm not sorry.

KA said...

I have a teeny tiny, harmless little crush on Charles Barkley.

KA said...

PS: Because of THIS
http://youtube.com/watch?v=U-BSh5zsD8E&feature=related

Shauri said...

I love him too. He is probably the funniest man on television. I loved the link you posted and checked out several more while i was there!

Carolyn Hansen said...

I agree with Delsa, Shauri -- You do lead a charmed life. That amazing experience is one of so very many that you have had (in the last few months!) Yes, this comment is thick with envy. :)

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.