Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Oprah and I are Free Women

I can be silent no longer.
Ok, I haven't been silent at all, but it seemed like a really catchy opening line. It's Super Tuesday folks and things are heating up.

On the Democrat side things are obviously exciting. Mainly because I simply have NO idea who will come out on top. It truly is a close race and I have no gut feeling on who will come out the victor. I will say that I was truly inspired and swayed by Oprah's latest appearance for Obama out on the campaign trail, and I have to believe a LOT of other voters were as well. The woman is powerful and smart...and a darned good speaker. I would have voted for her for President when she sat down. Apparently she was catching a lot of flak from other women about not backing a woman. She fights back and I just have to say, "You go girl." Check the video.



On the Republican side I would just like to say once again how strongly I dislike Huckabee and his devilish ways. I mean, the man knows he has ZERO chance of winning this thing, but does he drop out? No. And why?? Because he is clearly trying to screw over Romney. He will split the conservative vote with Romney, especially in the southern states, and make McCain the clear-cut winner. Mark my words, when Huckabee gets tapped from McCain as his running mate, it will be obvious that they have been scheming behind the scenes to make this happen. It's so sneaky and political that I want more than ever for this thing to blow up in their faces.

Second angry moment today. Reverend Al Sharpton was talking to Hitchens (the guy who wrote the anti-God book)at a debate at the NY Public Library. Hitchens made some comment to Sharpton that it surprised him that Romney doesn't get asked more about why Mormons thought Blacks were inferior. This is fantastic in and of itself, but it gets better. Sharpton replied, "As for the one Mormon running for office, those who really believe in God will defeat him anyway. That's a temporary situation."

Sharpton goes on in further interviews to deny that he meant any harm to Mormons or to Romney, and that he wasn't accusing them of not being Christian or believers. I challenge you to find any different interpretation in his comment. For someone who is all about finding people who are bigots and appropriately punishing them, it seems a bit ironic for him to call out Mormons as "not believing in God." Why can't a person just be honest and say, "Look, I said that, and I was wrong. There is no good interpretation, but it was in the heat of the moment, and I regret saying it. Mormons are believers too." And leave it. Then I say, Ok, believe what you want, I believe what I want, thanks for the apology.

I go back to Oprah. Why is this vote about religion? Or race? Or gender? It's all unacceptable and your vote shouldn't be based on any of these things. Like her, "I am a free woman that follows my own truth." I wish we would hear more of people voting their heart and their issues and not a desire to either promote OR prevent a woman, a black man, or a Mormon from the office.

And that my friends, is a rant. I mean wrap.

11 comments:

Carolyn Hansen said...

Amen! Wow, she is one powerful speaker. I think that I might write her in for President.

Lisa said...

Love it! You go girl!

EFN Newsletter said...

I have a hard time believing McCain or Romney will beat the Democratic nominee so I feel like it's election day today. I'm a little bugged I don't get to participate.

I just read an article however, that said that the chances of Clinton or Obama clearly taking the lead are slim. I guess we'll see.

jamie said...

It's an exciting day for sure. I was listening to NPR today and Sheryl Crow was being interviewed for her latest album and she wrote a song titled "God bless this mess", it's regarding the current political situation and I have thought a lot about that statement. It's true, Please, may God bless this mess. :)

Kris said...

Amen to you Shauri & to all the comments made thus far.

I have a feeling you and Ian are going to have to crack open a lot of Martinelli's to make it through the Super Tuesday results. ( : Call me when you get into town.

Lolo said...

oh man! that sharpton comment makes me...ANGRY!!! anyways, i need your current address, wherever you may be residing! so please send it to me. and i do love your rant! can't wait for all the results tonight. or maybe i can cuz i am pretty sure i am going to be disappointed! just so you know, we have a mitt romney for president sign on our front lawn. surprise surprise!

beliquits said...

Did you see the clip of Ann Coulter on Fox News saying that if it came down to McCain vs. Hillary, she's not only voting for Hillary, she'd CAMPAIGN FOR HER?

It was obvious when McCain started praising Huckabee's sweep of the south EXACTLY what he was doing. I'm not sure McCain would pick Huckabee as a running mate though.

If nothing else, I'm deliciously excited just that I [i]get[/i] to be ignoring that a candidate is a woman, is black, is Mormon, etc.

Garrett said...

I have always made a point to completely ignore everything Al Sharpton says or does, I suggest you do the same. If there is a God Obama will win the democratic nomination.

Shauri said...

Then I hope Obama wins if your whole faith in God is riding on this thing.
What a nightmare if it's mccain and hillary though, huh? I mean, just when I thought we finally had a plethora of great candidates and I could be happy with almost any choice it pulls out the two least desirables.

xóchitl said...

#1 Shauri, I'm glad you're a free woman. Amen sista.
#2 Al Sharpton...whatever
#3 Ann Coulter seriously said what? What the heck is going on?
#4 I'm curious to see if any candidates visit me here in the Rio Grande Valley to tout immigration reform. I'm sure the town will get dressed up right purty. Git'r dunn!

beliquits said...

xóchitl -- not just ann coulter now! Rush limbaugh too. *dies of a heart attack*

Its all on youtube. It's priceless.

The conservative media, apparently, has no love lost for mccain.

And now a moment of silence for Romney's campaign, which officially passed into the ether today.

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.