Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Expect the Best from even the Worst


Because I spend a large portion of my time talking about how much I hate the airlines and their customer service (particularly Northworst), I thought I should give a shout out to one of their flight attendants that actually seemed to enjoy his job.

I was a little frustrated after missing my flight (due to the fact that they wouldn't let me go up to the gate with 20 minutes to spare) and losing not only time but my first class upgrade, but this is a positive story - Let me re-group.

I was sitting in an aisle seat somewhere in the middle of the plane, and the male flight attendant came by and stopped by my seat and said, "You've been selected to help." I got a little nervous and asked what I had to help with. I figured it was something like, to help make the flight lighter by de-planing.

He handed me the little air mask thingy, the direction pamphlet and the seat buckle. He told me that he needed my help with his demonstration. I was a little annoyed at first thinking now I had to actually pay attention to my 7 millionth presentation and I mean how lazy could someone be??? BUT I tried to mask it with only one huge sigh and an "Ok."

He asked me to hand him the item that they always talk about first. I got a little nervous and handed him the mask. "Great job!" he said. I felt pretty good. Then he wanted me to hand him the next one. I got nervous at that point that I would select wrong and I mean, I've flown how many times?? I got it right and I felt really good when he gave me a big smile and told him how smart I was. This my friends at Root is what we call "engaging the learner." I was fully engaged. The best was yet to come.

Not only was I bought in to the presentation and listening and laughing at his funny little additions to the rigmarole (like pulling out a cigarette and pretending to puff on it when he said no smoking), but after I finished helping/participating, he then pulled out a little notebook of coupons and said I was the lucky winner of 500 frequent flyer miles for helping him with his presentation.

It's a drop in the bucket for what I'm pulling in with these jobs, but I felt like I won the lottery and he was so positive and engaging that I forgot all the previous negative experiences with his company that day and flew with a big old smile on my face.

That my friends is good customer service and a little lesson for me in being willing to help with a smile instead of assuming the worst and being put out.

God bless the best Northwest flight attendant I've ever encountered. He made my day a little brighter.

3 comments:

Kris said...

And may God bless you for having to fly so darn much...I'd say you've more than earned a positive experience on a flight.

Robin said...

Well, and lets give credit where credit is due, you are an excellent student.... way to turn that frown to a smile:)

Lisa said...

Every now and then there's that one person...very cool!

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.