Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Riddle me this...

My landlord, who happens to live above me and is 26 years old with a wife and child on the way, came down to fix the dangling light and flooded floors tonight.

As he was wrapping up, he casually says, "Oh..you know how I always tell you about our crazy neighbors?" (Background: When I first moved in he told me about a father/son team who live next door with questionable life-styles who both wanted to date me. I'll leave it at that. Understand...questionable.)

I get a little, let's say scared, but curious.

Turns out one of our other neighbors who lives across the street (and is also called "questionable" by my landlord - Glenn.) wants to take me out on a date.




Obviously, I get this. I mean, what's not to love, right? But here's the puzzler. He's 22 years old. He moved out here because he knocked a girl up who now is not allowed to talk to him and is sequestered in her father's basement. Not necessarily relevant to the question or story, but interesting.

So riddle me this people: Why, after Glenn disclosed my shocking age, would this fella tell Glenn, "Look, I don't care about age. Just get her number and I'll take her out."???



One of the interesting phenomenon I'm discovering about being a mid-30's woman, is that the men who want you fall in one of two "card-carrying" categories: AARP or Brand new Driver's License. Never the men your age, or even within a five year range.

So obviously you all know I've got some theories, but I'm curious to hear yours. WHAT IS THIS ALL ABOUT??

In case you're curious, I told Glenn to tell our neighbor friend that I would certainly take him up on his offer as soon as he could prove to me that he was old enough to rent a car. I think that's respectable, right?

4 comments:

Kris said...

Wow. The strange ones really are drawn to you aren't they. I'd look at your situation one of two ways:

1. The fellas within the 5 year age range are trying to fly under the radar - most likely so far under that they've got their sites set on the new freshmen girls in HH or DT.

The younger fellas have nothing to lose by being bold (and looking for a sugarmama) & the older fellas are a little too bold for their own good - hence the father/son team you're dealing with next door.
2. Your beauty, quick wit, education, career, spirituality etc. are intimidating because they're probably lacking in one of these areas.

Trust me on this one.

Shauri said...

I agree with number one. Number two, I certainly appreciate any and all flattery, but I think not so much--if that were the case it would apply to any age.
I have other suspicions.

Kris said...

It might apply to any age...but let's put it this way - if a guy within 5 years (+ or -) of you isn't well educated, have a good career etc. they'll feel like more of a loser. A younger fella would give himself the credit that he still has time to get all his ducks in order & an older guy is thinking you would be a catch & could provide security for his retirement years. ( :

I have some other suspicions as well, but we'll stick with my first 2 ideas for now.

Robin said...

Three words.... you are hot!

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.