Friday, January 11, 2008

The Friendly Skies


As I boarded the first leg of my flights tonight and got settled I suddenly heard an abrasive woman’s voice coming loud and clear over the PA system. It was a little puddle jumper flight that was tiny and crowded and about half the passengers had sat down and half were still trying to make their way up the aisle and to their seats.

The woman said, “Hey. You all need to hurry and get to your seats and sit down. We don’t have the slightest chance of making an on time departure if you don’t get moving.”

You could see fear and embarrassment in the passenger’s faces as they tried to hurry and get to their seats so they wouldn’t be held responsible for actually DELAYING a flight when the airlines work so hard to be punctual.

The woman wasn’t quite done. She continued, “Look at all of you. I can’t believe how many bags everyone has. You’re only allowed one on here or the flight will be too heavy. I don’t know WHY they didn’t tell you to check one piece or at least consolidate them. Most of the bags need to go under the plane to balance it or this flight will be way to heavy to fly.”

I look over at the woman sitting next to me and her face is white with terror.

Nazi-stewardess continues, “This would never happen in Minneapolis. Only in Madison. And look, I’m not going to make you put them back now, but don’t you DARE tell anyone that the stewardess on THIS flight let you take more than one. Got it? I just hope the flight goes smoothly.”

The woman next to me says timidly, “I could have consolidated, no one told me. I’m really not a good flyer, do you think we’re going to crash?”

Ahhh, yes. Nothing like the friendly skies.

Of course being such a good flyer myself, I was able to comfort her with, “Don’t worry, I saw on CNN that the turbulence is really bad today and that a flight had to make an emergency landing, but I think that’s good news, because it means in really bad turbulence they can actually land safely.” I don’t think that had anything to do with her consolidating her bags moments later.

5 comments:

DTR said...

Does consolidating bags make them weigh less?

Kris said...

Sounds like that flight attendant missed her calling in life - she should've been a motivational speaker. Fear & chastisement...what a priceless combination.

Aly said...

Maybe you should have shared your PMS blog entry with that stewardess...

Shawn said...

I just think she had to act tough so nobody would tell on her that she was letting too many bags on. Much easier to act mean then help move all of the bags.

Kent and Emily Cook said...

Shauri,

How great is it to be in touch again through the world of blogs! I just got Kathy's blog info and was able to catch up on a lot of my favorite people I haven't seen or talked to in awhile.

Yes, we are on to number three and thank heavens it's a boy! I don't think I could deal with anymore drama and emotion that we already have in our house. Plus, Kent would be devasted to not have a boy to throw the ball around with.

We are in Switzerland for Kent's job. He is still with Hilti, but now is the Global Senior Management Trainer. He basically travels the world and teaches the Senior Management how to manage their sales teams better. Fun to be here, but a big challenge, too. If you're ever in the area, we have a great guest room. We'll have to keep updated. Loved your funny stories!
Emily

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.