Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Romney is the Red Sox, McCain is the Yankees


I am enthralled by the presidential race. This is unprecedented and completely unpredicted.

The sad truth (and I refuse to be ashamed no matter how many people look down on me and question my patriotism, call up memories of the revolutionary war, or otherwise tell me I don't deserve freedom) is that I have never voted in a presidential election. The criticism I get does seem a little at odds with the idea that maybe I not only have the freedom to vote, but also the freedom to choose not to vote if I don't resonate with any candidates, but I'm not here to judge my haters.

I grew up in a household where politics was NEVER discussed. I couldn't have even told you if my parents were Republican, Democrat or Communist. I suspected Communist, but one time in a family council they told us we were a "democracy" so I guess that kills that theory. I'm not sure what we ever got to vote on, but I'm sure my mom will refresh my memory shortly upon reading this.

I don't share this information to cast any blame on my parents, I just didn't grow up interested or particularly educated in this arena. I did live for 7 years in our nation's capital, but I found the over political atmosphere of DC, where there was zero grey area in anyone's mind, even more alienating. I'm an independent who believes that most politicians are full of crap and don't get too much done. The system is important, but put in any guy and not much changes. (This should fire up plenty of you.)

Everything is different this go-round. I started out about a year ago strongly in favor of Obama. To be honest though, my support was largely non-political. He was charismatic and likeable, I liked the idea of a black man breaking the glass ceiling, and he seemed to be more of a middle-ground kind of guy that listened to both sides. It didn't hurt that at every family gathering my brother-in-law Abram touted his Vote for Obama web site and all his charms.

About a month ago, I decided I liked a lot of the candidates. I went in hating Hillary, but toyed with the idea that a woman was a good idea and supporting a sister, but ultimately I'm not sure I can stomach her or Bill again. It would really be Billary we were voting for after all, which in my mind wouldn't feel much better than voting for that potent combo once known as Bennifer.

I still like Obama a lot, although I'm starting to wonder what that means I'd be voting for besides this very global and ambiguous "change" he touts. I'm not sure he's identified what is changing.

I liked Huckabee for about 5 minutes, then he got sneaky, annoying and anti-Mormon and way over-religious for a political campaign, so bye-bye Mike.

McCain I would like if he wasn't so explosive and undiplomatic which is not attractive. I'm also kind of sick of him and all the other nominees bashing Romney. I have a natural affinity for the underdog--I protect. It's who I am.

This brings me to Romney. I NEVER expected to like him. At first there was almost this strange, perverse desire to not vote for him just so it didn't seem like I was choosing him because we were both Mormon. I'm sold now though. I like what he can do for the economy, I like that he has been on both sides of the issue and maybe has perspective that could land somewhere in the middle, and I think he is a good man. And, I'm sorry, but I'm sick of all the other Republicans hating on him. I mean can just ONE say something nice. I feel like I need to save him from the bullies.

That's my general feeling on candidates, but here's the surreal, out of body moment I'm currently experiencing. I have had CNN and FOX NEWS on for the last 60 minutes and I can't tear my eyes away. Only 10% of the votes are in, and it could be hours before a final count and I am enthralled. Every time it switches a percentage point up and down between McCain and Romney, my pulse jumps. I find myself internally pulling for Romney and wanting him to win. I've never even watched a Presidential vote and I'm sucked in by ONE STATE'S PRIMARY.

Watching the primaries has become as compelling to me as watching the Red Sox and the Yankees and that is saying more than most of you can probably begin to comprehend. Part of the Red Sox charm was always the fact that they were the underdogs fighting the big bad Yankees. That's how I see Romney in his party and I want the big bad McCain squashed. (I get that the financial metaphor doesn't line up.) Anyway, I'm in. I want to see which population is going to overcome--a woman, a black man, a Mormon or well...that's it, but they are all viable candidates and the winds of change are blowing.

8 comments:

Kris said...

Amen. I totally feel you Shauri. Ohh please let the Red Sox sweep Florida, the Yankees certainly DON'T deserve it. ( :

jamie said...

Well put, Shauri. I have to agree about the whole not voting for Romney because I'm a mormon, he's a mormon, so why not? But after his religious speech he gave a few months back and listening to him in the debates, I'm sold as well. Too bad he lost in Florida, but maybe super tuesday will be all he needs. This election is definitely interesting. I do have to say, if McCain wins the nomination, my vote goes to Obama.

Kris said...

Totally with you Jamie...If McCain wins the nomination, Obama is my man. If it's McCain vs. Hillary - I'm moving to Canada.

Aly said...

Really?! If not Romney then Obama? They couldn't be more different. I think Obama is an eloquent and admirable man, but things like his current ad gives me chills. It shows Obama talking about a broken Washington in one breath (agree) and in the next sentence saying that a Wallstreet tycoon makes more in a few minutes than the average working person makes in a year. As if that is that government's fault, or even worse, the government's responsibility to more equally distribute the wealth. Am I the only one who thinks that is scary?!

Delsa said...

When I think of this campaign, I'm glad I'm not home. Why does this go on for so long. They just had a national election and it was over in a few months. Not only that, you would be in deep trouble here, Shauri. If you don't vote in a national election you are fined.

Tiffany said...

Umm, what body snatching entity took over Shauri? Is this the same person who lived in D.C. for 7 years (and probably got annoyed the whole time with my political discussions)??? So, surreal to read this blog. As a diehard political junky, I'm torn by this election. I go through spurts where I'm interested and then where I can't stand to read/watch what's going on. As for who to vote for, I have serious problems with McCain dating back from my time in the Senate. He's not a nice man who seems to pick his positions SOLEY based on the polls or media. Drives me insane.

Lisa said...

I'm right there with you sister! Oh, except I've voted before. : )

EFN Newsletter said...

Great post Shar. I don't want to speak for anyone else, but the reason I can go back and forth between Romney, Obama, and yes, Hilary, is because I don't toe one party line. I agree with Obama that I don't want the gap between he rich and the poor getting bigger and bigger, I like that Romney implemented a statewide universal healthcare plan, and I support Clinton's plan for energy independence and the environment. Those are just some examples and I still have plenty of research to do. Anyway, I agree I'm totally taken with this race. much more interesting than last time.

Anyway,

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.