Saturday, January 26, 2008

A Good Comeback

I didn't fall today at all. I consider this a banner moment.

I did however sit next to a guy who is training with the Jazz and just happened to be about 6' 11" tall. I asked what position he played and he told me power forward. I told him I played center and he said, "Really?" (Very seriously) "What are you about 6'3"? I had this brief moment of glee thinking my tall personality must really be on show tonight--I mean, people have guessed 5'7" and even 5'8", but NEVER 6'3". Then he started laughing. Oh yeah, that's a good one big guy.

Then I told him I bet he always had people asking him how tall he was and if he played basketball and that he probably got sick and tired of it. I'm sort of a prophet I guess. He agreed that it did happen a lot and that he got tired of it.

I decided to help him out by sharing a comeback he could use that put me in my place once upon a time.

I met a guy who was about 6'7" tall. I said, "Hey, you're tall. Do you play basketball?"

Rather than give a nice polite yes or no, he looked down (way down) on me and said, "You're short. Do you play miniature golf?"

My mouth dropped, but I had to give him props. It was funny, clever and really called out how annoying that question must get.

I think my new friend really appreciated my help.

3 comments:

Kris said...

I have no doubt that he did...I mean, with lines like that he'll almost be begging for short people to ask him how tall he is. ( :

Now on a more serious note - I'm relieved that you didn't fall today.

Delsa said...

That was great, what a comeback. I'll bet this guy really appreciated your help.
Do you do anything besides go to ball games?

Robin said...

I think your friend most definitely appreciated your help. Gosh, I wish that I were taller so that I could use that as a comeback some day, but alas, it will never happen. Thanks for posting on my blog. But now that you found out who I am, I am going to have to come up with an alias name so that I can still stock you..it was so much fun while it lasted:)

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.