Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy


Kristen Allen-R's blog reminded me of one of my favorite deep thoughts. After writing it for her, I thought - hey - why not share some of these with everyone? They never grow old after all.

Of course they do remind me of my very first job out of school where I did absolutely nothing meaningful, and so I took it upon myself to write a morning "newsletter" for everyone. In it I always included a new deep thought. Every day the Vice President would come up and ask me to explain it to him. He would always walk away shaking his head saying, "I just don't get why these are funny." Which of course made the whole thing even more hysterical to me as I picked more and more ambiguous choices for him. I have to say though--if you don't get these...what's wrong with you?

Let me know your favorite!

It’s easy to sit there and say you’d like to have more money. And I guess that’s what I like about it. It’s easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

I wish I would have a real tragic love affair and get so bummed out that I’d just quit my job and become a bum for a few years, because I was thinking about doing that anyway.

If you ever catch on fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the mirror, because I bet that’s what REALLY throws you into a panic.

To me, it’s a good idea to always carry two sacks of something when you walk around. That way, if anybody says, "Hey, can you give me a hand?" You can say, "Sorry, got these sacks."

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you’ll be a mile from them, and you’ll have their shoes.

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they’d never expect it.

I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children’s children, because I don’t think children should be having sex.

I think a good product would be "Baby Duck Hat." It’s a fake baby duck, which you strap on top of your head. Then you go swimming underwater until you find a mommy duck and her babies, and you join them. Then all of the sudden, you stand up out of the water and roar like Godzilla. Man those ducks really take off! Also Baby Duck Hat is good for parties.

7 comments:

Kris said...

I love Jack Handy's Deep Thoughts. Pure genius.

"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man." Truly words to live by.

f*bomb. said...

THAT one is my favourite. Fo'sho.

Amy said...

Those brought back a lot of memories of watching SNL with my brothers. I had to find the website and read some more. The thing I love about them is it seems the more I read, the more funny I think they are. My favorite from the list is the one about walking a mile in someone's shoes. I also love this one:

"One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. "Oh no," I said, "Disneyland burned down." He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late."

EFN Newsletter said...

I vote for the one about carrying around two sacks.

Lisa said...

Oh, I forgot about these - love them! I have an idea, you should take Jack Handy's place and just start coming up with you own Deep Thoughts everyday for your blog! Very, very good idea if I do say so myself.

P.S. Ben LOVES his Tickle Me Elmo, when he sees it his whole body starts shaking he gets so happy!

Arah Debra said...

Thank you so much for that. I just had a great belly laugh. Nothing better than Deep Thought by Jack Handy".

Mark said...

Those are awesome! I don't know that it's fair to choose just one favorite because they all have their own place in the world of deep thoughts. I love you blog, thanks for brightening my day.

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.