Friday, July 11, 2008

The Little People


****Warning****Very long, albeit interesting story

I spent the last few days in lovely Orlando. If you're looking for a spot to vacation this summer...keep lookin'. I'm sure it's beautiful in the winter, but the only way it can be described in July is suffocating and sweaty.

I was in Orlando to film at their NBA summer league camp. 6 NBA teams were there and two of the main characters from my film had been invited. Kevin with the Magic, and Brian with the Nets. Would be great for my film if they could actually get a contract... Anyway, it was pretty cool - no public allowed, just media, players and staff. There were a lot of famous faces wandering around the gym as most head coaches were there as well as some of the NBA players from these teams. The day before I arrived Brian told me they got to go to Vince Carter's house in Orlando to have their practice there. He was trying to play down how cool it was, but he did show me the picture of Vince's house that he had covertly snapped on his phone. Would have been great to capture that on film!

Another famous face was the guy coaching Kevin's team---Patrick Ewing. I actually bumped in to him in the hallway outside the gym on his way in, but I didn't even recognize him. Maybe because his knees were eye level with me, and who really recognizes knees? Once he sat on the bench I started to put the pieces together and I asked someone sitting nearby if the coach was Ewing. Yes.

Awesome! I thought it would be great to capture a household name on camera telling me about Kevin and what he thought his chances were, how the d-league helps players, etc.. I figured it was a small enough crowd and a friendly enough environment that he might be willing to hook a sister up.

Meanwhile, I had made friends with this security guard when I came in . He was probably in his mid 50's by the look of it, but he was pretty nice and I joked around with him a little...you know, like I would with my dad, and we became buddies.

He would periodically come check up on me and chat so after I recognized Ewing, and Mr. Security stopped by, I asked him if he thought Ewing would let me do an interview. (This guard is the Orlando Magic's personal security--he sits on the bench with them at games, which frankly is a pretty sweet gig.)

Mr. Security told me he thought Patrick was pretty nice, and he didn't see why not. Just make sure to ask after the game and not during. Duh. So I was feeling pretty confident.

After the game, I walked up behind Ewing, waited for him to finish a conversation and said:

ME: Umm, hi there. (Big smile)

Ewing: (Looking way down and slightly confused at where the voice is coming from. Picture a confused, irritated expression like when you hear a mosquito buzzing in your ear. Finally looking down...) Uh, yeah?

Me: Right, hi. Um, I'm Shauri and I am doing a documentary on the Utah Flash. One of my guys is on your team...(plowing ahead and pushing words out quick-like cause I can tell he's losing interest)..Kevin Kruger? Yeah- I was hoping I could do a short interview with you?

Ewing (still annoyed): What? Who are you? Look I got interviews to do with the news right now.

Me looking up at him with sad eyes and now speechless. (yes, a miracle- i had no words.)

Ewing: (exasperated) No, no. I can't. Look- I'm late for a plane I gotta catch. Sorry.



And he walks over to the interview with the TV peeps. I was feeling very publicly rejected and embarrassed, but as I slunk away in my shame to the bleachers I heard him turn to someone and say with consternation and disdain, "Who are the Utah Flash?"

Rather than add to my shame this actually made me pause and think--what an idiot. I mean either he is completely dense or the NBA is doing the worst marketing job ever on the D-league that a guy who has played and coached in the NBA, and who even has a player he's been starting on his team..that came from the Utah Flash has no clue.

Thank goodness for my documentary. I'll be sure to send him a copy with my compliments so he can learn all about this awesome new league. I was mad at myself for being so wimpy and scared, I'm sure he could smell it just like a dog can smell fear, which is probably why he bit me. I'm pretty sure he could have fit me in to one ginormous mouthful too. I mean he is a BIG and scary looking man. In his defense, it was the last game of the week and he was rushing out, but still. Rejected.

On the other hand, Mr. Security had no intention of rejecting me at all. I saw him on my way out and I froze as I saw the torrential downpour outside. I was parked on the other side of the building and would have to run in the rain with all my equipment.

I asked Mr. Security if there was any other way out of the building. He said there was but he wasn't supposed to take me cause it was all the private offices. Then he shrugged and said, "Aw, come on."

I followed him through a maze that saw me safely to a door just a mere 3 feet from my car. He could see the "Bless you" look in my eyes and as I said goodbye he stuttered a bit and then reached in to his shirt pocket and slowly pulled out his card with a look of panic on his face. Reminiscent of the way I looked and spoke to Ewing.

"Ummm..if you're ever down in Orlando again..welll...uh..here's my card."

I looked at him in slight shock because I was thinking thanks dad, and he was obviously thinking you're welcome lover. He continued.

"I could, you know, take you to an amusement park."

Again: Speechless.

You win some, you lose some. And my big win was a 55 year old man who wanted to take me to an amusement park.

Regardless, my important lesson here is: Don't disregard the "little people." And I'm not talking about midgets. My connection got me out of the rain and in to my car. And one day it might get me access to a front row seat or some locker room access. Make friends with everyone--just don't always date them.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh, that makes me dislike Ewing a little; You're security guard - at first I was thinking "What a nice guy!" by the end I was thinking, "creepy."

Delsa said...

Maybe you should have had the security guy ask Ewing for an interview.

Shauri said...

Maybe. Except he might have gotten confused and asked him to an amusement park instead. Which Ewing might actually have accepted.

EFN Newsletter said...

Abram said Ewing is known for being a big jerk.

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.